Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Let's talk about avalanche shovels

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Let's talk about avalanche shovels

Postby YooperJonKornely » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 pm

My wife bought me these shovels from Costco last year... I tossed one in each of our cars for the winter, but in my opinion I would NOT use them in the backcountry. They are lightweight but the quality is not great and I would not trust them if really needed for an emergency.

Postby Hacksaw » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Metal, big blade (30cm X 30 cm minimum), telescoping shaft with drilled holes in the blade for bandoliering.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby Alpineair » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 pm

I saw a Lifelink shovel at Murdocks yesterday for $16. Same style that was/is fetching $49 bucks or more at outdoor stores as far as I could tell. They were not listed at the site evolve posted and looked a little smaller.
I use a BD shovel that fits on the end of my axe and gives me a bit more reach.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:58 pm

I've been backcountry skiing since I was a teenager and haven't used my shovel to dig through an avalanche yet, so I can't give any advice on that.
I have used my shovel often to dig spots for tents. I think a long handle shovel is worth carrying and plastic will break. If you some day intend to dig out someone with your shovel, you should only use it to move snow and not use it as a lever. Fatigue stress weakens any metal. If you avoid prying and stressing a shovel, it should last decades. I have a snow shovel that is over 30 years old, I keep it in my car in case I get stuck in the snow.
It has a wood handle and aluminum blade.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Previous