Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The cure for Frozen water?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: The cure for Frozen water?

Postby Ross M G » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm

I usually blow the water out of the tube, then stuff the nozzle inside my jacket (route it down the neck of your jacket). Never freezes in there. Just make sure you closed the nozzle!

Postby jdorje » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Dave B wrote:Wind chill won't cause the tube to freeze any faster unless the outside is (continuously) wet (i.e. latent heat loss from evaporation). Although, wind may cause what little body heat is radiated to the tube by air contact to be convected away (but is probably a negligible amount anyways).

I don't want to argue with science, but I don't think that's true. Convection will increase the rate of temperature change of the tube.

What I assume you mean is, the "wind chill" temperature value is meaningless. If it's 33 degrees outside with a wind chill of -10, the water is not going to freeze.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby dannyg23 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 pm

http://shop.camelbak.com/mens-powderbak/d/1196_c_140_cl_1461

I'm going to experiment with something similar (home-made/cheaper) this winter, but I think this concept would work, and doesn't really add any weight.

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:56 pm

dannyg23 wrote:http://shop.camelbak.com/mens-powderbak/d/1196_c_140_cl_1461

I'm going to experiment with something similar (home-made/cheaper) this winter, but I think this concept would work, and doesn't really add any weight.

Interesting concept!

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm

jdorje wrote:
Dave B wrote:Wind chill won't cause the tube to freeze any faster unless the outside is (continuously) wet (i.e. latent heat loss from evaporation). Although, wind may cause what little body heat is radiated to the tube by air contact to be convected away (but is probably a negligible amount anyways).

I don't want to argue with science, but I don't think that's true. Convection will increase the rate of temperature change of the tube.

What I assume you mean is, the "wind chill" temperature value is meaningless. If it's 33 degrees outside with a wind chill of -10, the water is not going to freeze.

Good point, I didn't really think about it that way, but you're right, there could be substantial heat loss from convection. Might have forgotten to engage the ol' think box today. #-o
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:08 pm

dannyg23 wrote:http://shop.camelbak.com/mens-powderbak/d/1196_c_140_cl_1461

Looking at the side view, I can only imagine that being terribly uncomfortable with a pack on.

What I did last winter was wrap reflectix around my camelbak tube, blow the water back into the bladder, and keep the valve/mouthpiece tucked into my coat, and that worked pretty well. Occasionally I'd forget to tuck the valve/mouthpiece into my jacket, and it would freeze, but I was usually able to thaw it again without too much trouble.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby dannyg23 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 pm

GregMiller wrote:
Looking at the side view, I can only imagine that being terribly uncomfortable with a pack on.

Yeah... that's the issue I see too. I haven't tested it out yet but I've got the bladder situated on my lower back instead. I'm hoping with all the additional layers and what not it isn't too noticeable.

Postby speth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Dave B wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
One last anecdote, last November I had it on Mt. Massive and the car read 2 degrees at the trailhead. It made it summit and back without freezing.

Yeah, sorry, I don't doubt that your backpack insulates well. I've just had an entire tube freeze on a long day out while zipped closed in the shoulder strap, not having water for 6 hours on a cold Colorado blue bird day sucked. I'm, personally, just not willing to risk it again.

That's my experience - the reservoir is fine, it's the mouth piece and connector that ice up. I have a sleeve on it, and I'll blow air to clear the tube, but it's still a pain and ices over sometimes. Nalgene is the go to for me in the winter.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby jsdratm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:29 pm

I used a camelbak for two years before ditching it for a regular nalgene bottle and one of the large rectangular nalgene bottles. I've found that I prefer the Nalgene bottles because I can always tell how much water I have and drink more water as a result. I had several occasions where my camelbak tube iced up and I wasn't able to drink any water through it. Also, when I was on my Mt. Whitney trip my camelbak leaked onto my gear and I had trouble getting everything dry since it was late in the day at Guitar Lake. It isn't worth the effort and risk to deal with a camelbak IMO.

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:54 pm

It's really not worth the trouble in winter to keep a bladder working. Bottles are great and nearly stupid-proof.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby globreal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm

The cure for Frozen water?

Hike with ACERguy007. He packs his MSR Reactor stove in winter!

On our climb to Bull Hill, he just boiled some water to thaw out Otina's tube. Thanks Ryan!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Dex » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Jeff Valliere wrote:Additionally, with the possibility of leakage inside the pack, I found the risk of wet, essential clothing to not be worth it as well.

That has been a problem lately.

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext