Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountaineering Boots for Rainier

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Mountaineering Boots for Rainier

Postby jsdratm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I signed up for a Rainier trip next summer with RMI and I was wondering what type of boots is best. They recommend either the La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX (Leather) or Koflach Arctis Expe (Plastic). I've noticed that the plastics are half the weight and almost $100 cheaper. I imagine that the plastic would insulate better and be more durable in the long term. Can anyone offer advice?

Re: Mountaineering Boots for Rainier

Postby skik2000 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I've worn the plastics on every climb I've done. I just bought a pair of the Nepals at the end of last season and have yet to try them out. I'd have to look at weights but I think the plastics are heavier.
I hope the Nepals work for me as I imagine I'll feel more agile in them.

The plastics are like tanks on your feet. Your feet will stay warmer in them. If you go that route I would buy a pair of Intuition liners for them. Tey are much lighter than the stocks ones and don't absorb water so keeping them warm in your bag at night isn't as much of a concern.

If you have aspirations to go to Denali and other high, cold places I'd get the plastics. If its Rainier and CO I'd go with the Nepals.

Postby smoove » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I wore the Nepals on the Emmons route in early July and had zero problems with warmth. But we had good weather. But I've also worn them on several winter 14er trips here and my feet have always been fine. What did you wear on your winter Bierstadt ascents? How were your feet?

I'm guessing that the Nepals would be sufficient on Rainier most of the time in the summer after the beginning of July. But if the weather got nasty, you just might want those plastics! If you're going to do more stuff here in the winter and shoulder seasons, though, then the Nepals might be a better investment.

Edit: Actually, I think only one guy in our group wore plastics. Another guy wore Scarpa Mont Blancs (equivalent to the Nepals), and two other guys wore Scarpa Charmoz (equivalent to the Sportiva Trangos). I think you're risking it with the Charmoz or Trango, but they worked out fine with our weather.
Last edited by smoove on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CO Native » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:27 pm

The Nepals are heavier, but a more usable boot in Colorado than a plastic. If you're going to buy, I'd go with them since the plastics wouldn't come out again until something like Denali). I had the same debate myself and settled on the Nepals and have been happy with the decision. Plastic boots are brutal on your feet for long approaches. The Nepals aren't luxury but they are better. Anything stiff enough to take an automatic crampon is going to be tough on your feet over long distances. If you maintain the leather well I'd guess the Nepals will actually last longer than plastic boots. I've used mine on over a dozen trips and they still look nearly new. The Nepals aren't extremely warm though so buy big enough that you can fit a thick wool sock in them when temps get below zero. For Summer on Rainier they are plenty warm, my brother just wore the Trango's on Rainier and was totally happy with the warmth of those. (If your guide will let you, I'd go with the Trangos. They're still warm enough for Rainier in the summer and way more useful as an all-around boot.)
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby skik2000 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:35 pm

I just weighed both boots. With intuition liners (lighter than stock), the plastics were 4oz heavier than the Nepals.

Postby Dave B » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm

I've never been up Rainier so take this for what it's worth, nothing.

You can get a good solid double leather boot from Bent Gate for just $100 more than nepals (i.e. Baruntse's are $512, Nepals are $415). They've also got the uber-lite Mammut Nordwand for $450.

Unless you plan on climbing really hard ice and/or mixed routes (WI5/M5 and up) that require delicate footwork, Baruntses will get you through anything, including Denali (once again, can't speak from experience).

Honestly, I can't ever remember saying to myself: "Self, I wish your boots weren't so warm."
No one cares that you don't like hoppy beers.

Postby falcon568 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:11 pm

+1 for Baruntse's. I've owned a pair for a few years and love them. You would probably be fine with Nepals up Rainier, but cold fronts and storms do blow in during the summer, and people have walked (limped) away from that mountain with frostbite. I took the Baruntse's up the Emmons route and was glad I had them on summit day in early July, especially before the sun came up. Most guiding companies recommend double plastics for Rainier, some require them. Plus, like people mentioned, you can wear them on higher peaks like Denali (with overboots).
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Postby desertdog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Like my Nepal's. They worked great for me on Rainier. Check, as I remember, I met several people climbing with RMI that rented Nepals from them...might be a good way to go if you're unsure.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

I have an oldish pair of Koflach double plastics in size 8-8.5 that I'd sell for...I dunno...$50...if that's helpful for anyone.

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:32 pm

790g/boot (supposedly) in a size 27.5 (~US men's 10ish?). Better ankle articulation than any of the other boots being discussed, fore-aft anyway.

Postby Dex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby smoove » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Dex wrote:14,409 - Rainier
14,429 - Massive

:?: :?:

Next