Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GoLite Wolf Creek L3 Tent

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

GoLite Wolf Creek L3 Tent

Postby kaiman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Everyone,

I just saw that GoLite has these tents on clearance right now and was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

http://www.golite.com/Wolf-Creek-L3-Tent-P46999.aspx

How are the materials and durability? I am a fan of GoLite's other gear and am in the market for a new 3 season tent so any info would be useful.

Thanks,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Re: GoLite Wolf Creek L3 Tent

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 am

So I spent 4 nights this year in the Wolf Creek L2 tent with my climbing partner. I really like these tents.

While small, they make good use of space. The materials are pretty decent. The tent stakes they come with are awesome. They have plenty of features while keeping it light.

My absolute favorite feature are the vestibules. There is a center pole that gives you additional headroom and clearance in the twin vestibules. It's a great design. We spent 12 hours in one during a constant rainstorm and everything stayed dry. In a 2p tent each person gets their own vestibule and the headroom makes it easy to take off shoes with the flap closed.

My only possible knock against it is that it does take a little longer to set up compared to some other similar tents. And it might not stand up as well to tornadic winds as some other tents in the same size catagory.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 am

That is a lot of tent for $200. At that price it compares very favorably to my BA Copper Spur 3. The BA has about 10% more floor area (44 ft vs. 40 ft). The GL appears to be about 2" shorter (90" vs. 88"), and about 10" tapered on one side. Somehow the BA is almost 1lb lighter (trail weight), which is a testament to BA.

I had originally bought a Quarter Dome T3 to replace my aging TNF Roadrunner 2. I loved the extra space as I am 6'4". I discovered that the T3 was too short for me at 84" (I should have known this) and was fortunately able to exchange it (after one use) for the BA.

I am tempted to buy that GL tent just because it is such a good deal.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby kaiman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I am continuing to weigh my options. It does seem like a pretty good deal for the money so I may have to go for it. djkest - just curious why you think it isn't as wind resistant as others?
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm

kaiman wrote:Thanks for the responses guys, I am continuing to weigh my options. It does seem like a pretty good deal for the money so I may have to go for it. djkest - just curious why you think it isn't as wind resistant as others?

It doesn't seem as taught/ tensioned as my Sierra Designs tent, which handles wind really well. However, unless you are putting your tent in a high wind area that most 3-season tents aren't designed for anyway, I don't think it will be an issue. Usually our tent is right around treeline and not above treeline so we get some wind shelter.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby kaiman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:07 pm

djkest wrote:It doesn't seem as taught/ tensioned as my Sierra Designs tent, which handles wind really well. However, unless you are putting your tent in a high wind area that most 3-season tents aren't designed for anyway, I don't think it will be an issue. Usually our tent is right around treeline and not above treeline so we get some wind shelter.

Okay, thanks. I tend to camp at treeline as well, however, on occasion I camp above treeline and in windy areas as well. Usually in such cases, cinching down the guy lines real well and covering the stakes with rocks and ballasting the tent with rocks in the corners will take care of any problems for me.

Thanks for the insights and help I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Edward Whymper

Postby TallGrass » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:17 pm

They also have the 2p version for $150. http://www.golite.com/Wolf-Creek-L2-Tent-P46998.aspx Two dealbreakers for me though would be not light enough (compared to my 2p Eureka Apsen tent) and the poles only collapse to 20" so it won't fit in my bags.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby DanaMac » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:03 am

I have the 2 person Wolf Creek, and love it. I haven't used it in outrageous conditions to give a fair review.
I do like the two doors and vestibules, the stakes are great, the price is right, and I prefer the blue over their orange for the Imogene model. The weight is fine for us, especially considering we cut our tent weight in half after finally upgrading from a mid-90s Kelty that weighed about 8 lbs. The two of us fit in there just fine, and even our 45 lb dog sleeps at our feet, but the two of us are not giants - 5'-8" and under. A larger dog would be tough to share with. I can't give first hand comparisons with other high end technical tents. But for us, and for the money, it's great.