Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dynafit questions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Dynafit questions

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 am

GregMiller wrote:Yeesh, no love for the skinny ski :lol:

While we're on the topic, what do people use as their primary ski mountaineering setup?

Anything 130-140 tip, 100-105 underfoot, 115-130 tail and FREERIDES - I'll sacrifice lightweight setups for better downhill performance. Oh, and packs with back panel access.

Postby benners » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:03 am

lordhelmut wrote:I'll sacrifice lightweight setups for better downhill performance.

Dynafits are lighter than Freerides and perform better. We've been over this before Brian. If you're looking to sacrifice weight savings for better downhill performance you should be talking about Dukes or Barons.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 am

lordhelmut wrote:FREERIDES - I'll sacrifice lightweight setups for better downhill performance. Oh, and packs with back panel access.

Ehh, I've been skiing on Freeride Plus's, and they're just heavy. I can't say for sure if there's a performance difference, as I haven't skied my dynafits yet, but Lou's tests found that freerides flexed more than dynafit bindings:
http://www.wildsnow.com/379/backcountry-skiing-binding-flex-tests/

lordhelmut wrote:Oh, and packs with back panel access.

I do like my Osprey Kode 30, definitely a great ski pack.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

GregMiller wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Oh, and packs with back panel access.

I do like my Osprey Kode 30, definitely a great ski pack.

I still owe these two people beers for their recommendation of the Kode.

I don't care if Black Diamond has the fancy-schmancy tankless airbag pack, their designs are the antithesis of usable. The Kode is a freaking dream.

And yeah, Greg, time for a wider ski. I'm still riding my Rossi sick birds (128-98-120) with dynafits, still planning on getting a wider ski this year, just haven't been able to pull the trigger on anything specific, yet.
Last edited by Dave B on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 am

Dave - Equinox, 7/3/2013 - you already did pal. But I will gladly accept another...

Greg/Ben - Its been a while since ski season - I forgot the Dynafit hoard will probably chastise my Freeride rec. But don't listen to me - I'm just cheap.

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 am

lordhelmut wrote:Anything 130-140 tip, 100-105 underfoot, 115-130 tail and FREERIDES - I'll sacrifice lightweight setups for better downhill performance. Oh, and packs with back panel access.

+1 on back panel access, it is supremely convenient!

As for lightweight vs. downhill, I think a key variable is how much you get out and ski peaks. If you get out a ton like LH, then you are in shape enough to carry a bit of extra weight for the added benefit of the downhill performance (where you put that weight, skis...bindings...boots...is your choice). If you get out 3-4 times per season like me, you need every advantage you can get to even have a hope of making the summit and skiing down in a moderately safe manner, so you would likely go with a more lightweight set-up.

I personally use Dynafit Speed Radicals WITHOUT brakes (I don't think the Speed even has brakes). I credit all of my summits to the 0.5oz saving of not having brakes...
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:02 am

lordhelmut wrote:

Dave - Equinox, 7/3/2013 - you already did pal. But I will gladly accept another...

Yeah, Brian. Definite emphasis on the plural form of beers. Just gotta make it happen!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 am

AH.....A SKI THREAD!!!

Nothing to add other than my quiver inlcudes....

Ski Mountaineering - BD reverts (95mm) with Dynafit Vertical FT
Everyday Resort - SkiLogik Ullr Chariots (101mm)
Powder - Moment Night Trains (123mm)
Rock,Early Season - G3 el HOMBre (105mm) with FREERIDES (for Brain)
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby GregMiller » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:53 am

Must ... keep ... the ... ski ... thread ... alive!

lordhelmut wrote:Greg/Ben - Its been a while since ski season - I forgot the Dynafit hoard will probably chastise my Freeride rec. But don't listen to me - I'm just cheap.

Didn't mean to jump on you all at once, sorry about that. This last year I skied on Freeride Plus's on Salomon Sentinels (95 mm), liked them well enough, but man it was a heavy setup (that was mostly in the skis though - definitely NOT a BC ski). Still have them around, might keep them primarily as resort gear. I did like the 4 levels of adjustment on the Freeride binding, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby nkan02 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm

GregMiller wrote:Must ... keep ... the ... ski ... thread ... alive!

Yes, please. This thread makes me smile.

GregMiller wrote:This last year I skied on Freeride Plus's on Salomon Sentinels (95 mm), liked them well enough, but man it was a heavy setup (that was mostly in the skis though - definitely NOT a BC ski). Still have them around, might keep them primarily as resort gear. I did like the 4 levels of adjustment on the Freeride binding, though.

Hmm, I went in the opposite direction last season. Ditched my lightweight (Waybacks - 88mm) and midweight (Coombacks- 102mm) backcountry skis in favor of a sturdy and versatile resort ski (107mm). The weight difference turned out to be minuscule, but the quality of skiing has improved dramatically. I read somewhere on Lou Dawson website (after the fact - lol) that skis should be the last thing for weight savings in your setup. Everything BUT the skis I have now is lightweight (bindings, boots, skins), so trade-off to me is worth it. My chubby sticks are worth every ounce of their weight on the descent. But just from looking at men/women version at the stores, women's skis, including resort versions, tend to be much lighter than men's.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 pm

GregMiller wrote:Must ... keep ... the ... ski ... thread ... alive!

lordhelmut wrote:Greg/Ben - Its been a while since ski season - I forgot the Dynafit hoard will probably chastise my Freeride rec. But don't listen to me - I'm just cheap.

Didn't mean to jump on you all at once, sorry about that. This last year I skied on Freeride Plus's on Salomon Sentinels (95 mm), liked them well enough, but man it was a heavy setup (that was mostly in the skis though - definitely NOT a BC ski). Still have them around, might keep them primarily as resort gear. I did like the 4 levels of adjustment on the Freeride binding, though.

No worries Greg - I'm thin skinned - so I've been told (actually wasn't being defensive/serious - but was serious on being cheap, oh, and i posted this to keep the thread alive)

That being said - Dynafit Radicals, Verticals, Shmerticals, whatever- I'm sure they are all better than Fritschi or Markers. But the kindergarten ease of use on the Freerides keeps me satisfied - for now. But boy do Freerides suck inbounds....

Postby Carl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Dynafit Radicals, Verticals, Shmerticals, whatever- I'm sure they are all better than Fritschi or Markers

This comment was three years in the making. Purchase of Dynafits by the last remaining Fritschi ambassador is imminent.

GregMiller wrote:Yeesh, no love for the skinny ski :lol:
While we're on the topic, what do people use as their primary ski mountaineering setup?

I think I skied 57 or so of the 14ers on a ski that is 88mm under the waist, so for ski mountaineering, in my opinion, your 86mm is just fine. My next ski mountaineering setup won't be more than 98mm in the waist. That said, most of my non-ski mountaineering backcountry days are on a ski that is 130mm in the waist.

I found a pair of Dynafit radical brakes in my basement that will fit your skis well. If you'll be in Golden anytime soon email me (berthoudpass.org with my first name in front of it) if you want to trade.

PreviousNext