Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dynafit questions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Dynafit questions

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm in the market for new ski bindings after my G3 Onyx finally broke last year and had a few questions about Dynafit. Please, don't give me grief for buying G3. I've already heard enough and will probably need surgery on my thumb some day. Anyway, it looks like the selection is pretty low right now and I was wondering if anyone here uses the Speed Radical? I'm skiing BD Kilowatt skis that are 95 under foot and the only bindings I find have 92 mm brakes. I don't really use the brakes anyway for backcountry and am cool with the leash. Does the lack of a plate under them cause any issues with powering them in a turn? Are there problems with 4 screws instead of 5 causing strength issues? I'll be skiing them mostly on spring snow touring the peaks.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Dynafit questions

Postby benners » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 pm

You'll be able to mount the 92mm brakes on the Kilowatts, the mount shop will just bend the brakes outwards slightly. The lack of plate won't affect the power transfer to the ski at all. I had Vertical STs (with 92mm brakes and no plate) on Kilowatts for years and the setup worked out great the entire time. You won't have any strength issues with number of screws either and Kilowatts can be drilled numerous times w/o any strength/integrity issues. All in all Speed Radicals with brakes on Kilowatts sounds like a great setup to me.

Postby martinleroux » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 pm

If you wait a few weeks you might find a better selection, the stores aren't fully stocked yet. But right now it looks like Backcountry.com and Mountaingear.com both have Dynafit TLT Radicals with 100mm brakes.

You could also buy the brakes separately. Right now someone's selling a pair of 100mm TLT brakes for $20 on eBay.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks for the advice Benners. I went on and ordered the Vertical ST with 92mm brakes from EVO. I don't want to screw around and not get them again this year. I should probably get new skis too but I really love the kilowatts.

Postby benners » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Sure thing! You can't go wrong with Vertical STs on Kilos.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey, related question - I picked up a pair of Radical ST's on sale with 110 mm brakes, without remembering that my skis have 86 mm waists. :oops:
Anyone happen to have any smaller brake arms sitting around? Definitely willing to trade, and would happily sweeten the deal with beer.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ulvetano » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:04 pm

GregMiller wrote:Hey, related question - I picked up a pair of Radical ST's on sale with 110 mm brakes, without remembering that my skis have 86 mm waists. :oops:
Anyone happen to have any smaller brake arms sitting around? Definitely willing to trade, and would happily sweeten the deal with beer.

Get a real ski Greg. :wink:

Hope the OP loves the setup. I skied Kilowatts w/ Dynafits and now Verdict/Dynafit and love the set up. If I have had a weak link it's been the dimples of the Garmont ski boots. Blew out on me once and seem to be a little sensitive with rocks and stepping-in, so I try to baby them these days.

Postby Carl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

GregMiller wrote:Hey, related question - I picked up a pair of Radical ST's on sale with 110 mm brakes, without remembering that my skis have 86 mm waists. :oops:

I'll have to look tomorrow night. I've got some smaller brake arms for the verticals but not sure about radicals. The brakes are different but I think the brake arms are the same; can't say for sure without them in front of me. I know some folks who switched out larger for smaller brakes at Bent Gate if they're new. Might be worth a call.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 am

ulvetano wrote:Get a real ski Greg. :wink:

I have a real ski, just trying to build a light(er)weight setup for hauling up 14ers.

Carl wrote:I'll have to look tomorrow night. I've got some smaller brake arms for the verticals but not sure about radicals. The brakes are different but I think the brake arms are the same; can't say for sure without them in front of me. I know some folks who switched out larger for smaller brakes at Bent Gate if they're new. Might be worth a call.

Thanks! I asked at Neptune, and they didn't have any, but I'll definitely give Bent Gate a call, they've been great in the past!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby nkan02 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 am

GregMiller wrote:
ulvetano wrote:Get a real ski Greg. :wink:

I have a real ski, just trying to build a light(er)weight setup for hauling up 14ers.

I agree with ulvetano. Get a real ski Greg, you will actually enjoy skiing downhill. I now ski on 107 Volkls. Btw, selling my 88 K2 Talkbacks (Waybacks) and 95 Gotbacks (Coombacks) if anybody is listening...

p.s. Yay for ski thread. Finally!

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:20 am

Greg - Bentgate still has a pair of Rossi S3 178's for 350$ on their website in case you change your mind.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 am

Yeesh, no love for the skinny ski :lol:

While we're on the topic, what do people use as their primary ski mountaineering setup?
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Next