Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Postby Klinger1986 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but a vehicle could be considered gear. Anyway, does anyone have experience with the Jeep Trailhawk? I am looking around for a new vehicle that has the comfort of an SUV, but still handles rough roads decently. I would just go for the Jeep Wrangler, but I can't justify the purchase considering I don't live in the Rockies. I do a decent amount of hiking every year, which requires traversing some nasty roads, but the majority of my driving is on quality roads. The Trailhawk seems to have decent off-road capabilities, while still maintaing the SUV feel. Any and all help is appreciated. Also, if you have any other vehicle suggestions, I would be open to that.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Re: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Postby denvermikey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 pm

I know there are plenty of people who have Jeep GC and really love them. They do have very good off-road ability and a decent on-road ride. The biggest issue that would keep me from ever purchasing a GC is the reliability. The Jeep GC has consistently been one of the worst SUVs on the market as far as reliability. Another side effect of this is that the resale value is terrible.
I personally would lean more towards a Nissan XTerra (although a bit smaller) or maybe a Toyota 4Runner. Either of these would (more than) suit your needs, most likely be much more reliable, and not tank so hard in their value(s).
This is not to say that the Jeep will for sure break down, it's just that the odds of it having issues are far greater than most.

Just my $.02
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Subaru Forester or Toyota 4Runner. IMO
I put 180k on a 2000 JC Sport here in Colorado. The only thing I liked about my Jeep..... It was cheap. I now have a 2012 Forester and absolutely love it! Just as much ground clearance, comfortable to drive long distances, unbeatable AWD system, and I average over 28mpg.
Unless you plan on doing rock crawling or uber crazy off-roading in Utah, a Jeep Wrangler really isn't a top choice, nor a Cherokee.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Klinger1986 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I guess I was not aware that Jeeps were not reliable. My wife drives an 05' Jeep Liberty, and we have never had any issues. The major reason I was looking at the Trailhawk was because of the MPG and undercarriage protection. I had looked into the 4runner, but was not impressed with the MPG. I would say most of my off-road trips are similar to the Grays and Torreys approach. I also would like a vehicle that would get me to any of the 14er trailheads, for future trips.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Postby mtnview » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 pm

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/index.php

Keep an eye on this forum. A number of members have ordered Trailhawks and expect to receive them the last week of September.

If anyone has some links to the reliability of the Jeep Grand Cherokee post them so everyone can have a look.

I too, am looking at the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk next spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIhxAlu79M

Some short videos showing the Trailhawk off road capabilities. Looks pretty decent to make it up 14er trailheads.

Regards
Allan A
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 pm

IMO, there isn't a road/trail that I've been up/down, that a stock Jeep could out perform a stock Forester.
That being said, it is very cheap to modify a Jeep in order to handle some worse stuff, but, you will be killing your gas mileage, ride and resale.
The 4Runners I've ridden in have been fantastic! Great ride, off road capability and the same gas mileage as a Jeep. Biggest difference is resale value.
Everybody has their favorite, and you're sure to get plenty of pros and cons here. :-D

Postby Bullwinkle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 pm

I have a 2012 GC Laredo 4X4 (replacing an H3), now with 25,000 miles. It has been a superb on-road vehicle, and regularly gets 26-27 MPG on-highway. Compare this to other full-size 4X4s (with 4-LO). Off-road capability is not as good as the H3, but it is very competent for most rough access roads and it has a full set of stock skid plates. Minimum running ground clearance is 8.6" at the front end, and 9-11" behind that. Rocky Road Outfitters lift kit will bring the GC up 2.5", or the leveling kit will bring up the front 1.75". Otherwise, high clearance will require the Quadralift on-demand option, which is only available on high-end models. Get a set of mud mats and go with higher ply tires. The Goodyear Forteras are a fine-on-road tire, but are not really tough enough for off-road.

If you are looking for a daily commuter that can periodically handle rough off-road conditions, the GC is a very good option.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby Klinger1986 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Would you consider the Trailhawk a "stock" Jeep?
Last edited by Klinger1986 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby edhaman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Year after year, Consumers Reports rates Jeeps as among the worst in terms of reliability. I have had 3 friends who had nothing good to say about their Grand Cherokees (which they are glad to be rid of). On the other hand, there aren't many vehicles that have the off-road capabilities of the Wrangler. I also find it odd that Consumers Reports complains that the Wrangler has a hard ride, as if one should expect a Wrangler to have the ride of a Cadillac.

Postby djkest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 am

Klinger1986 wrote:Would you consider the Trailhawk a "stock" Jeep?

Sure. You haven't modified it in any way.

Look, the new GC is a nice vehicle. The Trailhawk is essentially an expensive(upscale) version of the GC with an air suspension and some skid plates. It doesn't have the strength or articulation of a Wrangler. It will be nicer on the highway, however. So pick your preference. It's not going to take you very far up Lake Como road without damage, not that you would want to take a $45,000 SUV up that anyway.

For $30k, you could get a "Pro-4x" Xterra that would be more off-road capable, but would look out of place at the Philharmonic Orchestra concert or cruising the streets of Vail in the winter.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

djkest wrote:
Klinger1986 wrote:Would you consider the Trailhawk a "stock" Jeep?

Sure. You haven't modified it in any way.

Look, the new GC is a nice vehicle. The Trailhawk is essentially an expensive(upscale) version of the GC with an air suspension and some skid plates. It doesn't have the strength or articulation of a Wrangler. It will be nicer on the highway, however. So pick your preference. It's not going to take you very far up Lake Como road without damage, not that you would want to take a $45,000 SUV up that anyway.

For $30k, you could get a "Pro-4x" Xterra that would be more off-road capable, but would look out of place at the Philharmonic Orchestra concert or cruising the streets of Vail in the winter.

djkest is right. Even with a Trailhawk, you're going to walk to Como.
Personally I could never justify the new price of any Chrysler product considering you can buy one that is a couple years old and still under warranty for half the cost of new. (Except for the Wrangler, for some reason people pay alot for those things.)

Postby TallGrass » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 am

Instead of buying a new car, buy a hitch, small trailer and a dual-sport bike. Costs less, better mileage, faster through the rough stuff, can get to more places (Como), and at the end of the day you can ride it back to your plush paved-road vehicle in addition to having a fun errand runner in town that only weights about 250# and gets 65mpg. Heck, if you get a KLR- or KLX-250 or such, you don't even need a trailer if you have a beefy enough hitch and a side ramp. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-test/
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Next