Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Microspikes? What size?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Microspikes? What size?

Postby Diver Mike » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

I am in process of purchasing a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on sizing.

I wear a size 10.5 Meindel leather hiking boot, and this particular size is on the high side for what a medium microspike will fit, and on the low side of what a large fits.

Some of my concerns would be the medium would be difficult to stretch on over the boot and cause stress to the rubber, and the large would be a sloppy fit and possibly more easily fall off.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Microspikes? What size?

Postby jomagam » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:38 am

I have the same size shoes and got medium microspikes. It works perfectly. I wore out the spikes faster than the rubber on the Kahtoola.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 am

Same and same - size 10 or 10.5, and medium microspikes work great for me - I've also tried large microspikes, and the rubber never held the spikes/chains taught and let me slide around more than I'd like, while the mediums were perfect.

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:59 am

^^^Agreed. Tight spikes are better than loose.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby powhound » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

I think you will be fine with a medium. I have a size 11.5 three season hiking boot, and although I own the large size microspikes, once or twice I got them mixed up and wore my wife's mediums. I almost like the medium better as the chains are tighter.

I originally purchased the large though, to accomodate my winter boots, which are a size 12 ... to allow for a really thick sock for extreme cold temps. Even if you end up getting a half or whole size larger winter boot, I think you will still be fine with the medium.

jomagam wrote:I wore out the spikes faster than the rubber on the Kahtoola.

FYI. The rubber on mine did start to develop a very small split, back by the heel, after a few years use. However, I stopped it from further splitting by using some Shoe Goo as soon as I noticed it early last winter. So far so good. It is still holding up well.

Postby 3rdGenNative » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I purchased the large ones. They fit on my hiking boots and my winter boots (sz. 10.5). I just didn't want to have a wrestling match with a smaller size in winter - with my gloves off - and I'm fatigued - and I'm cold. Haven't experienced a sloppy fit but then I haven't worn them on something challenging like sidehills on a sheet of ice.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby Dex » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Unless you are planning to run in them I'd suggest you look at theses.

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/

They are in between crampons and micro spikes in length of spikes.

Search under my name on how to make them anti snow balling.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby HarknessHooligans » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 pm

You will need a medium. I purchased a medium for myself and I am a girls size 8.5 (right inbetween sizes)...as I hiked they stretched out a bit and loosened...Ended up having to purchase a small and give the medium to my husband (size 9.5) and they work perfect for him. You will want the spikes to stay snug on your shoe the whole time. So they should feel tight.

Postby lakecityrat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 pm

I have literally never used mine. If it is ice/snow, be safe and throw on crampons and ALWAYS have your ice axe handy.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:36 pm

i wear 10.5 street shoes, but i have no idea what size my boots or Nepal's are....I assume they are 11 or 11.5 and I have Large spikes. Love them.

So, this is basically a useless post! I say you take your boots to REI and try them on. Only one way to find out! If there's anything I've learned from high end mountain gear is that every brand makes their stuff a little different and you have to try on everything

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Diver Mike wrote:I am in process of purchasing a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on sizing.

I wear a size 10.5 Meindel leather hiking boot, and this particular size is on the high side for what a medium microspike will fit, and on the low side of what a large fits.

Some of my concerns would be the medium would be difficult to stretch on over the boot and cause stress to the rubber, and the large would be a sloppy fit and possibly more easily fall off.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have Vasque Boots the same size and got the medium. They fit snug but that is ideal. The large do not fit as secure and that can be dangerous. I tried them both at the Denver Flagship REi.

Postby vorticity » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I broke my first pair of Kahtoola Microspikes the very first time I have used them. Stay off really steep stuff and that won't happen. I think Mediums will work fine for you. The break I had was where one of the rubber grommets attached to the metal. Kahtoola replaced the single broken one with a brand new pair (no questions). Now I have a spare I have never needed since. Vort.