Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trabagon or Other LW Rain Jacket?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Trabagon or Other LW Rain Jacket?

Postby TallGrass » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Was looking at the White Sierra Trabagon Jacket. I have plenty of motorcycle rain jackets that I can make do with on the trail, but none have a hood to keep water going down the neck. Curious if anyone has ever used this one or has other suggestions for a light, compact, hooded rain jacket with decent venting that can double as a windbreak layer. Other option would be the GoLite Poncho Tarp which has the pluses of being able to go over your pack and be a shelter, but a minus for being pretty flappy if the winds pick up.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Re: Trabagon or Other LW Rain Jacket?

Postby polar » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:14 am

What about the Golite Malpais jacket? Lightweight and hooded, packs down pretty small (does not self stow though). But more expensive compare to the other two options you were looking at.

Postby Klinger1986 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 pm

I really enjoy my Marmot Minimalist Jacket. It has a Gore-Tex Paclite shell, Angel wing shoulders(this allows you to raise your arms above your head w/o moving the torso area), a hood that can fit a climbing helmet underneath, and is less than a pound. Not to mention, this is an extremely durable jacket. It will cost you a little bit more, but you can find it on sale for around $130.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:24 pm

polar wrote:What about the Golite Malpais jacket? Lightweight and hooded, packs down pretty small (does not self stow though). But more expensive compare to the other two options you were looking at.

I have used the Golite Tumalo jacket http://www.golite.com/Mens-Tumalo-Rain-Jacket-P46941.aspx for about 3 years and it has worked great while still looking almost new. Pit-zips for uphill action. :-D Oh, it is $75 regular price.

Postby Breckskier » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:02 pm

polar wrote:What about the Golite Malpais jacket? Lightweight and hooded, packs down pretty small (does not self stow though). But more expensive compare to the other two options you were looking at.

Picked this up before my Chicago Basin Trip. Got my monies worth in 3 days of rain. Great jacket, so light there's no reason not to take it on any excursion. I rolled it up into my pocket for a mountain bike ride the other night while clouds were looming and I was glad to have it.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Postby Johnson » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm

I got this just the other day. Appears to work ok as I tested it in the shower before my last trip. Didn't get rained on though. Hoping for the best. I can typically get an additional 35% off orders too.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-hyper-membrain-strata-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~5076v/?filterString=s~mens-marmot-rain-jacket%2F&colorFamily=01
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene