Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GoLite equipment

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: GoLite equipment

Postby CharlieB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Bought a 1 person GoLite tent. While it's lightweight and well built (handles 35 mph wind) it's really small and does let water come through in a good rain. OK for quicky shelter but for a few ounces more a tarptent rainbow is 3 times the tent.
Still use the bugscreen nest of the tent in warm weather with no rain. The tent has been impossible to resell, they dropped the price just after my purchase. :roll:
If you sign up for a survival class and it's cancelled due to bad weather, you didn't miss a thing.

Postby justinm76 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm

I've only tried their sleeping bags. Bought 4 at the outlet store in Dillon a couple years ago (20degree, mummy) and I've been cold most times and have to wear multiple layers and throw in hand warmers to make it through cold or wet nights. My wife got fed up and got a North Face bag and is much warmer.

Postby aLiEn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 am

I've had an overall good experience with GoLite gear (not tents/sleeping bags). First, the Bitteroot down jacket (black trash bag style :lol: ) has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. The Bitteroot has faced rain and snow storms and beaded the moisture off like a champ. It has become my primary on/off mountain winter jacket. Second, I have a GoLite 90L backpack that's still going strong, but has a few minor seam tears. Finally, I own several sleeveless and long-sleeve hiking/running shirts that are religiously worn most climbs/hikes etc. To conclude, I like GoLite gear and I will continue to buy it. Their repair/replace policy works well and I have personally used it. I highly recommend GoLite swag to others! =D>

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am

I am probably one of the few that are not overly impressed with GoLite. Sure their packs and tents and clothing are lighter but call me old fashioned I guess I would rather have a pack with different pockets so I can keep myself better organized. When you are talking about shedding ounces I get that every ounce counts but I guess if I have to carry 1 extra pound, its not the end of the world.

Just not a fan - but to each his own.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby djkest » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am

We have GoLight Jam 35s and like them quite a bit. Recently used them for a 3 day/2 night trip to the Wilsons. They were jam-packed (no pun intended) but did well. I've noticed that the shoulder straps really aren't good if you go over about 20 lbs, no matter how tight I cinch up the waist belt. So yeah, this pack is for light trips only. Worn it on 3 great traverses and it's a really nice daypack. Love the belt pockets.

I also have a GoLight synthetic puffy jacket, that I don't like too much. But I do like my GoLight running hat, shirts, and shorts. I always wear GL shorts on my hikes, they fit me perfectly and are very light. I cut out the liners.

The Jam 35 alone cut nearly 3 pounds off my previous 2-pack system for overnights.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby ezabielski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 am

The Jam packs are extremely popular for lightweight backpackers. Although, the weight of the Jam 50 has increased every year.

Previous