Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GoLite equipment

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

GoLite equipment

Postby denvermikey » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Recently picked up the GoLite Tumalo rain jacket and have so far been impressed. Very light (duh :roll: ), breathable and quite waterproof so far. My question is, has anyone had any experience with either their tents or backpacks (specifically the Jam packs and Imogene tents)? These are so ridiculously light weight, I just wanted to get some feedback on durability, how the tents hold up in various weather, etc...

Thanks!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Re: GoLite equipment

Postby Cruiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:23 pm

I don't have any of the newest generation stuff of theirs, but I have been very satisfied with their stuff overall. I have quite a few nights in my ShangriLa 3 with no complaints about form, function, or durability. I also have a bunch of miles on my old Infinity pack and it's still plugging right along. They were both good values for the money since I picked them up cheap at their warehouse sales.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby 3rdGenNative » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Picked up a Jam (?) and a Shangri La 4 at a warehouse sale. Love the Jam. I don't like that there's no framesheet but that's what helps make it ultra light. The tent has been used in Canada and CO. Was in it this weekend in the Mt. Evans wilderness in one of the worst gushers I've ever camped in. No issue at all. The floor was completely dry and the fly never leaked.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby dsunwall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:17 pm

I believe the Imogene tents are a new item so you won't find too many owners that have used them much. Keep an eye out (online searches) for reviews, they should be coming in. They do look good to me.

The Jam packs have been a mainstay for lite weight hikers for years, can't go wrong with them. Climbers often dismiss them as not being tough enough but for general hiking they hold together quite well. I've bought other brands over the years but end up using my Golite most of the time because it is light.

Postby colokeith » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 pm

i have their terrano 70L pack and have been quite happy with it, I have had it for 3 years and it has been on a lot of trips with no damage. I also have had a down jacket, and trail running pants of theirs which I really like
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby dannymiller15 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Got the new GoLite Imogene UL3 ultralite tent. It's a three person (read two person, or one person and a dog), Total pack weight is 3lb 1oz (not including the footprint). Got it on sale for $250 at GoLite. I've shopped around, and for the weight and price, it's hard to beat.

I've had it out several times this year including some early season stuff. For an ultra-light tent, its very well constructed, easy to pitch in the dark and appears to hold up well in wind and rain (but have not used it in anything too severe yet).

Five stars from me.

Postby jeffs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:55 pm

I got lucky on an early season order for a GoLite Imogene UL2, I've probably spent 10 nights in it so far on 14er trips this summer. Great Tent! I also found a good deal on a Jam 50, works great for packing in, and compressing down as a day pack for climbing the next day.... I had supplies for 3 nights, a helmet, scotch and cigars and had a little room to spare... :)
Last edited by jeffs on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby Kitten » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm

I don't know about their tents but I absolutely LOVE my backpack. It is a Terrono 85, super light, I usually keep the total weight below 35lb for a 3-4 backpacking trip. I would not exchange it for anything else.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby SpringsHiker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I have the Gore-Tex rain jacket, but don't remember the model. It's bomber.

I have the Quest 50 pack and love it. I switched it out with an Alps pack I used for my longer trips and dropped from just over 6 lbs to 3.5 lbs. I just got back from Chicago Basin and it was light enough that I did not bring the usual 2 lb day pack and it served nicely climbing 5 peaks--a little big but it definitely was versatile enough to shed some weight. Really comfortable and packed well inside and out. Only complaint is the chest strap tends to ride up as you cover the miles. Oh, and we did the long trip from Purgatory TH so I got a nice long 15+ mile experience with it each way.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby BlueKhan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 pm

I've got a Shangri La 3 tent, a 3L goretex paclite shell, and the most comfortable and lightest backpack that I've ever owned in the Terrano 70. I've rigged my carbon fiber trekking poles to replace the pole for the tent and I would still love to get my hands on a Terrano 85. All of this gear has exceeded my expectations. I love GoLite, but if you're gonna buy their (ultra)ultralight gear, understand that almost everthing is a tradeoff...some of the things that I carry are heavy duty for a reason.

Postby fleetmack » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 am

I brought a GoLite Pinnacle up Kilimanjaro, it was rockin'. Super comfy. Fleetwife just took it on our monthlong adventure overseas as well and commented several times on how light it is. Weighs nothing. Waterproof - can't say I remember being in many downpours, but don't remember anything getting wet in it.... ever.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby denvermikey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks to all for the feedback. Searching various sites for reviews, I have pretty much verified what everyone here has been saying - the GoLite merchandise rocks.
Went online to order the Jam 70L and Imogene UL2, both backordered! #-o The tent is due early October and pack early December! DOH! Guess it'll be a good Christmas!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Next