Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Day Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Day Pack

Postby NelsonTrading » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:What kind of Camelbak have you been using? I use the Alpine Explorer model and fricken love it!

Its an older model, doesn't even have a belt but I have been using it in NM and Blanca for short hikes. I like it, but this ones going to be a little longer than 3-6 hours. Thought I'd get something a little bigger. Its definately less than 20 L.

Postby NelsonTrading » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am coming from Texas, so need the extra room for layers etc. I will let you guys know what I get.

John

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

NelsonTrading wrote:Going to do Mt. of the Holy Cross this weekend. I need a new day pack. I'm heading over to REI this week. Any recommendations?
I have the Osprey Aether 70 that I use for camping, but since we are doing a day hike I need something bigger than the camelback I currently have been using.

John

This is for a summer hike right? Because, I'm thinking all you need is a REI Flash 18. Talon 22 is a good option if you want something larger. i use that when it is cold in the morning and I have to take off layers on the way down.

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

I've loaded it up with a full 3L CamelBak bladder and all you would need for a day hike.

Now, if this was for the winter - I'd go with the CamelBak Alpine Explorer. I can load mine up with snow shoes, ice axe, crampons and everything else I would need.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 pm

NelsonTrading wrote:Going to do Mt. of the Holy Cross this weekend. I need a new day pack. I'm heading over to REI this week. Any recommendations?
I have the Osprey Aether 70 that I use for camping, but since we are doing a day hike I need something bigger than the camelback I currently have been using.

John

So ...
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dakota » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm

tommelch wrote:Osprey Talon 33. Super light, comfortable, and has straps for poles, ice axe, etc. Hydration bladder and hip pockets.
Fits all your gear easily.

+1 on Talon 33. Mine doubles as my travel bag on flights and anything else I can come up with. The general trend I've noticed on this thread is that you can't go wrong with some sort of Osprey.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby dennywitte » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:30 pm

+1 on an Osprey Talon 44. It has followed me to the top of many 14ers on day hikes. I have also used it for several winter ascents. Very light, many features, good capacity, integrated hydration, and very comfortable. Can't go wrong with Osprey.

Postby MuchosPixels » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:49 pm

John

There are LOTS of choices. The most important thing is that whatever pack you choose make sure it fits you well. A pack that doesnt even with a light load it is really bothersome.

Postby Fishdude » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I just did Holy Cross via the Halo Ridge with a Deuter Futura 26 pack. I have had it for about a year and love it. I can carry a bigger load (more layers) more easily than with my Camelbak Peakbagger. I had 5 L of fluids plus plenty of food, my layers and had room to spare.

Postby rking007 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:34 pm

+1 on the Osprey Talon 22. It has been my go to pack for anything summer and actually comes with me to work everyday too and after two years, it's hardly even worn. When climbing I usually load it up with a 3 liter bladder and still have plenty of room for all my essentials. Good luck with whatever you get.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby PMurray » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:27 pm

JChitwood wrote:I purchased an Osprey Atmos 24 this spring and could not be happier with it. Perfect size for summer climbs and it comes in three bigger sizes if you want more room. Love the air suspension system, no wet sweaty back 15 minutes into a hike. Lots of pockets for little stuff. Highly recommended.

+1

I have the "large" Osprey Atmos 24. Osprey sizing chart: Torso size >20 in; waist size >33 in. Volume 26L. Weight 2 lbs. 9 oz. Love it.

Postby jlarson630 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 am

Just picked up a Black Diamond speed 30 a month ago. Super comfy. More of a climbing pack but works really well for 14ers and should be exceptional for winter ascents.

Postby painless4u2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:01 am

I wanted a super lightweight daypack to use as a summit bag and will easily stuff into a larger backpack. Got a Marmot Kompressor Plus from REI and just took it to Chicago Basin and it worked great. My 3 liter hydration reservoir fit fine, along with plenty of room for coats, food, etc. Only thing I wish it had was hip belt pockets to stash gels and Clif bars. Weighs only 12 oz. and rolls up small. Nice!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

PreviousNext