Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Day Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Day Pack

Postby tdliles » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 am

+1 on the Marmot Kompressor Plus. Used it as my day climbing pack for two backpacks so far this summer. Very lightweight and it held four poles solidly when stashed for the scrambling (mine and my wife's!).
Tom and Stef

Postby Dukietown » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 am

I picked up the Osprety Hornet 46 and love it. It's big for a day pack but REI doesn't sell the 32L in the store and it's a small difference in weight between the two. With the way the lid buckles down I'm still able to compress it down and keep it small with only a day hike load in it. I carried it for an overnight trip to climb Coxcomb peak and it did well for that also. Plenty of room for everything including climbing gear and helmet although I was definitely at the limit of comfortable carrying weight. My only complaint is that it's a bit fragile but that's to be expected with the ultralight fabrics. On the plus side the first time I put a hole in it Osprey repaired it for the cost of shipping. Really impressed with the company and their service!
"If there is such a thing as spiritual materialism it is displayed in the urge to possess the mountains rather than to unravel and accept their mysteries."

Postby tlucini » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Agree with the other posts o the flash 18 pack from rei. Its small but cheap. It works great to for backpacking trips. I use it as a stuff aack for my clothes and the. Empty it once we make camp and then use it for any day hikes.
Last edited by tlucini on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby rainydayrenee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:34 pm

I have a Deuter Women's ACT Trail 28 SL which I LOVE and used for the majority of my day hiking (I have a Gregory backpacking pack which is also nice). I can even use it to do quick over-nighters when we hike in to finish a climb early if my bf is carrying the tent since it has spots to bungee my bag/pad to the bottom. It's very comfortable, but could be a tad big for day hikes but I don't mind it. It has a nice hip pocket (perfect for a camera) and good support. I was looking into getting something a bit smaller for hikes with more scrambling as I thought this got in my way a bit...but for day hike, class 2+ etc. hikes I think it's perfect.

Postby Kapelmuur » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

To add my comments as I have three day packs and have put some years/mileage into each one.

Camelbak Blowfish (12-16L?): versatile, fits well, durable, carries a 3L bladder...good for fast 'n light if you don't feel the need to bring an excess of extra food & gear.

Osprey Talon 22: More of the above. Incidentally anything bigger than this is overkill for a day hike if you ask me.

REI Flash 18: What everyone else said the only catch being that you just have to figure out how to pack it in order to not have something sticking into your back.
Long Live the Fighters
Unremarkable feats of bike racing, mountain climbing and life in the nation's perfect suburb.

Postby highplaces » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm

REI Stoke 19 pack. Enough pockets/compartments (stuff it, 2 hip belt, main, 2 water bottle holders, etc) to be handy without being too much for just a day pack. A good weight at 20 oz. I use it for all my day hiking and have been very happy with it. I find it to be a good compromise between super light unstructured packs and much heavier overkill-for-a-dayhike packs.

Postby benners » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Been thinking about picking one of these up to compliment my Flash 18:

http://www.rei.com/product/844631/rei-flash-22-pack

Compered to the Flash 18 it has 4 more liters of room (believe it!), a hinged top that clips down as opposed to that weird cinch feature (sort of looks like a cow anus), and mesh side pockets for throwing some extra stuff in there. It's only $15 more and 5 oz heavier. I feel like an REI salesman, but it does look like a nice addition to the daypack lineup.

Postby gdthomas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Ultimately, the best daypack is the one that fits you. There are a lot of votes for Osprey but I'm partial to Gregory, specifically the Z30. Light, keeps your back as cool as a pack can, and has a nice rain cover, among other great features.

Postby quattordesch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm

I have both the REI Flash 18 and the Flash 22. Can't go wrong with either one, though if I had to choose I'd take the Flash 22. It has become my go-to pack for everthing except overnight and technical mountaineering.

Postby bking14ers » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I took the advise from this thread and got a Osprey Manta hydration day pack about a month ago from REI. Great advise and a great pack, but a bit expensive. So I thought "What the Hell". And now I see REI has the same pack on sale for $119.00. If you want one get it now at that price, because their $50.00 more if you wait. I'm hopeing they credit me the differance when I call them in about one minute.

Postby TexasTrad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:45 pm

i have used the osprey stratos 24 for about a year. i am very satisfied with it. the trampoline back is made out of mesh which keeps your back from getting sweaty. the pockets on the waist belt are great for my glove liners,headlamp, and potty kit. one of the best features is the system where you can attach your treking poles to one of the chest straps and the bottom of the pack. when i hit 3rd or higher class i can just hang the poles under my left armpit. it only takes a second to do. i don't have to take the pack off to stow them. they are available when i need them again. this is very handy. the compression straps can be used to hang your shell and fleece layer over the top of the pack.this saves room for other essentials in the pack.

Previous