Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Day Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Day Pack

Postby NelsonTrading » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 am

Going to do Mt. of the Holy Cross this weekend. I need a new day pack. I'm heading over to REI this week. Any recommendations?
I have the Osprey Aether 70 that I use for camping, but since we are doing a day hike I need something bigger than the camelback I currently have been using.

John

Re: Day Pack

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:23 am

I use a MHW Fluid 26 for 90% of my dayhikes.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am

What kind of Camelbak have you been using? I use the Alpine Explorer model and fricken love it!

Postby JChitwood » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 am

I purchased an Osprey Atmos 24 this spring and could not be happier with it. Perfect size for summer climbs and it comes in three bigger sizes if you want more room. Love the air suspension system, no wet sweaty back 15 minutes into a hike. Lots of pockets for little stuff. Highly recommended.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood

Postby GregMiller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:17 am

I got an Osprey Kode 30 for winter stuff, and it's ended up being my go-to pack for summer climbing as well. It does tend to give me a sweaty back, though, so you might look more towards the Atmos. I have a friend who's been using an Atmos, and he loves it.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby hberry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:25 am

I use the Osprey 22 for my summit pack. Supposedly designed for mountain biking, but it works great for everything I carry hiking and I probably carry a bit more than most (at least more than the moms with KEDs and a water bottle from Safeway).

Back doesn't get too sweaty. Holds a big bladder in the back.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:38 am

Osprey Talon 22 or Osprey Stratos 24. I went with the Stratos for its ice ax attachment and integrated rain cover, but for purely summer use I often wish I had the Talon. Then again, a little extra weight on summer day trips is hardly noticeable and the Stratos is more versatile.

For summit days or shorter day-hikes the REI Flash 18 has worked great, can't beat it for the price.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice and Trail (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Mooney Pilot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

I'm not sure what size you are looking for, but since you're going to REI, check out their Flash 18. It costs around $30.00 and is very light.

Postby Bullwinkle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:31 am

I use an REI 30 with ventilated back for summer hikes. Good value for money and a good size for a variety of trip lengths.

Postby Liquid Shadow » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 am

I'm a sucker for Black Diamond backpacks and I use the Black Diamond Burn (27L) for day-long 14ers.

Postby tommelch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Osprey Talon 33. Super light, comfortable, and has straps for poles, ice axe, etc. Hydration bladder and hip pockets.
Fits all your gear easily.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Love my Osprey Stratos 18 for quick out-and-back summer hiking. It's small for sure but it holds my rain gear, gloves, hat, trekking poles, a 100oz reservoir, and a few other small essentials without any difficulty.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Next