Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunglasses

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sunglasses

Postby mtree » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:22 am

Derby Ale wrote:That's just not true. The sunglasses/lenses you buy at target are made by the same company in the same factory as the $300 glasses you'll buy at Sunglass Hut. It's all Luxottica, and it's pretty much all the same quality.

Whatever the dopey sales guy at some over priced sunglass shop told you is utter rubbish. Don't fall for it.

I've been telling people this for years.
Fact: Nearly all UV light is absorbed by plastic and most glass regardless of tint. So go ahead, wear a fish bowl on your head!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Found a $90 pair of Smiths in a swamp last year, lost them in a lake while kayaking a year later. The $10 replacements I got at sportsmans warehouse look exactly the same and I cant say they perform any worse. Sunglasses are great when exposed to a lot of sun above treeline, but more importantly for me they've been an eye-saver while bushwhacking many times.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby Liquid Shadow » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:04 pm

dsunwall wrote:it was a 60 Minutes story not too long ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50149025n

Wow that is quite an eye-opener. I think and hope that Native Eyewear isn't owned by Luxottica?

Postby djkest » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Liquid Shadow wrote:

Wow that is quite an eye-opener. I think and hope that Native Eyewear isn't owned by Luxottica?

I second this. I own a pair of Natives that I really like. Never sent any money Oakley's way. That Italian CEO guy is quite the snake.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby 3rdGenNative » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for the link! Just heard about these guys on the radio as a great stock pick. These guys aren't oligopolists, they're virtually monopolists. I was speaking to a guy who is in that industry a week ago. The cost to produce a $500 pair of sunglasses - about $7.50.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby rking007 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:14 am

James Dziezynski wrote:My favorite Native sunglasses got stepped on, thus I've been using a $30 pair of Peppers glasses that have worked surprisingly well. For me, it's more a matter of getting a pair that fits my giant head. I have a Strong Bad head.

I love my Peppers and I love the Strong Bad reference! I lost a pair once and went back to REI to get some and they didn't have them on the display. I asked about some in the back stock and they told me they just come in a giant box loose so they pulled it out and let me root through it. So if they don't have the style you like ask to go through the box.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby kmetz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 am

FWIW, contact lenses block UVA/B so if you wear them sunglasses are not really necessary except to reduce brightness/glare

With regard to polarized vs tinted, polarized can be bad for trail running and nonsnow hiking as they reduce contrast which can lead to stumbles/twisted ankles.

Postby yedi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:33 am

Just FYI for anyone looking for sunglasses, the Clymb just started listing certain pairs of Julbos. Not quite 3 days left on the sale and steep discounts (50%+) on most pairs.

Postby CharlieB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 pm

I have very light blue eyes and for years suffered from headaches on bright cloudy days. Tried 20 different types and brands of glasses. An eye doctor loaned me his pair of Vuarnet glasses, what a difference. Vuarnet's has as many coatings on the rear as the front of the lenses. This reduces the light reflected off the rear of the lense into your eyes. That's where most sunglasses fail, they tint the lenses but have few anti reflective coatings.
Are they worth it, for me yes. Worn them since the early 80's. A pair last about 4 to 5 years, replace the frames and go about 4 more years and buy a new pair.

But now almost all commercial sunglasses are produced in a huge plant in China. The lense quality and coatings are world's ahead of what was available in the 70's and 80's. Today's $20 glasses are as good as a 200 dollar pair in 1985.
If you sign up for a survival class and it's cancelled due to bad weather, you didn't miss a thing.

Postby 14RBND » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:50 am

Derby Ale wrote:That's just not true. The sunglasses/lenses you buy at target are made by the same company in the same factory as the $300 glasses you'll buy at Sunglass Hut. It's all Luxottica, and it's pretty much all the same quality.

Whatever the dopey sales guy at some over priced sunglass shop told you is utter rubbish. Don't fall for it.

Yea I used to wear cheap sunglasses and after going with decent lenses my headaches went away as well. I actually was shown how distorted the picture is with a pair I brought into my eye Dr. He used a projector with my cheapies and then a pair of Ray Bans..... BIG Difference. I wear Oakley's non polarized as you can see in avatar.
"Mountaineering experience is that monumental thing that allows us to understand our mistakes when we make them more than once"

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am

I will never wear my $170 Ray-Bans on a 14er because if they got lost or broken I would be very sad. I have seen other people drop theirs off a ledge, or have them taken away by a wind gust. I never buy anything but polarized glasses and have been very satisfied with my Sunclouds from R.E.I. - I have three pairs, each are between $35 and $50 (a lot easier to replace than the Ray-Bans). I like the model called "Cookie" and have worn them on every 14er.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby rufhausen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 am

I have no problem spending extra money on sunglasses if they are from a company that stands behind their products. I got great service from Smith Optics when I needed to replace something on my glasses (like the rubber sheath that covered the earpieces). Unfortunately, they wouldn't cover the broken earpiece that resulted from my stepping on them while changing clothes in the porta-potty at the Holy Cross trailhead, but that's perfectly understandable.
I've now moved on to Native Vigor glasses (good for a large head), with the common thread between the Smiths I had and these being that they support multiple sets of lenses. I don't care about different lens colors (I always prefer brown), but these plastic lenses will get scratched over time. So for $20 or so, my glasses can be made to be good as new again when the time comes.

PreviousNext