Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunglasses

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sunglasses

Postby PaliKona » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:28 pm

thanks for all the insight!

Postby Yury » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 pm

mtree wrote:Although expensive name-brand sunglasses are great, it's all over-hyped marketing. And boy o boy they've done a great job of it. If you were going to spend a week on snowpack I'd consider the full side protection of glacier glasses. Otherwise, get whatever's within your budget. Just don't go without! That's my lowdown. Enjoy!
I strongly suspect that even sunglasses from a Dollar store provide about the same level of UV protection (assuming the same geometry).
At least my old experiment with a few sunglasses and a spectrophotometer did not reveal any difference in UV absorption between different brands.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:53 pm

99% UVA and UVB safety glasses (ANSI Z87.1) = $4. Lose 'em, break 'em, scratch 'em, git a nudder. There's more to eye protection than just UV. :wink: 8)
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Derby Ale » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Almost all sunglasses are equal in protection. Look for the UVA/UVB rating. Most of the supposed "high quality" sunglasses (and we're talking like 80% or more?) are all made by the same company, Luxottica. They make the glasses you buy at Sunglass Hut, Target, Sears, Lens Crafters, Pearl and many other places. In fact, they own Sunglass Hut, Lens Crafters, Pearl and many others. They also own the brands such as Revo, Oakley and Ray Ban. They DESIGN (that's right design) and make glasses for companies like Burberry, Coach, Armani, Ralph Lauren, Versace and Bulgari (and many others). Then there is another company, much smaller, called Safilo who owns companies like Smith Optics and Carrera. And the quality is no different from their cheap models to the expensive ones. You're buying a name and perceived style.

It is Luxottica's stranglehold on the market (brands and distribution channels) which has sharply driven up prices on both Sunglasses and prescription glasses (or as they prefer to call it "eyewear").

Bottom line, find a $10 pair you like and go with that. Costco is one of the places you can get non Luxottica sunglasses. Maui Jim is still independent as well.

As far as polarization, I think it's been well covered already, but it shouldn't be of real benefit for hiking and can be detrimental in some slick situations.

I bought a pair of Revos a few years ago. That will definitely be the last pair of expensive sunglasses I ever purchase.

Postby Stephen Butler » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I've had $4 sunglasses for the last year (95% UVA/UVB protection) and have had no problems.
Edit: used them on a May snow climb too.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 pm

I had heard that cheap glasses are really dangerous bc they don't have the protection but are dark, thus tricking your pupils into opening more and in turn damaging them more...so is that bs? So a pair of $12 crap sunglasses from Target that are 100% UVA and UVB protective are ok in the high altitude? Just don't want to unknowingly burn my eyes...

Postby wushock316 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 pm

You are correct. Cheap wrapped sunglasses distort your vision and can give you headaches.most of the nice sport glasses are wrapped compensated(base in induced prism, small amount) to keep your glasses from pulling your vision apart. Companies like oakley,smith,spy,maui jim,etc. Could take up to a year to devlope a new frame design. You can deff find some really cheap sunglasses that will work and have all the uv protection. You get what you pay for just like anything else.

Postby Derby Ale » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:14 pm

That's just not true. The sunglasses/lenses you buy at target are made by the same company in the same factory as the $300 glasses you'll buy at Sunglass Hut. It's all Luxottica, and it's pretty much all the same quality.

Whatever the dopey sales guy at some over priced sunglass shop told you is utter rubbish. Don't fall for it.

Postby dsunwall » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 am

it was a 60 Minutes story not too long ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50149025n

Postby James Dziezynski » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:35 am

My favorite Native sunglasses got stepped on, thus I've been using a $30 pair of Peppers glasses that have worked surprisingly well. For me, it's more a matter of getting a pair that fits my giant head. I have a Strong Bad head.
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby shearmodulus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:40 am

If you need prescription lenses, as I do, call Opticus in Superior, CO. They did my prescription lenses for my Julbo Monte Biancos I used on Denali. Worked great, and their customer service was excellent.

Postby jeremy27 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:53 am

shearmodulus wrote:If you need prescription lenses, as I do, call Opticus in Superior, CO.

+1

PreviousNext