Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

thermarest? etc.

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: thermarest? etc.

Postby jasperson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite. Probably the lightest, plenty comfortable. Not quiet, quite crinkley.

Noise doesn't seem to bother me when I'm sleeping.

I think the lightest will all be noisy, that's one trade off.

Postby rickinco123 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:13 am

I have the xped synmat UL. Not as lite as the neo. I can sleep on my side and stomach, it is a full rectangle. Sleeps like a bed and weighs around 14oz without stuff sack

Postby jsdratm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:23 am

rickinco123 wrote:I have the xped synmat UL. Not as lite as the neo. I can sleep on my side and stomach, it is a full rectangle. Sleeps like a bed and weighs around 14oz without stuff sack

I have this one too and it has worked out well. Very lightweight and packs down quite small.

Postby skiwall » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:57 am

jsdratm wrote:
rickinco123 wrote:I have the xped synmat UL. Not as lite as the neo. I can sleep on my side and stomach, it is a full rectangle. Sleeps like a bed and weighs around 14oz without stuff sack

I have this one too and it has worked out well. Very lightweight and packs down quite small.

Me three. I just got this, and it's amazing. I had been having hip problems when I was sleeping, and this solved them.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Navigaiter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:31 am

I just invested in the Therm-A-Rest Neoair Xtherm, and I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't tested it in the field, but I've tried it out on my hardwood floors, and it's incredibly comfortable. Yes it is noisier, but it only weighs 15 oz and feels like I'm sleeping on a heating pad, so I'm OK with the noise, which really isn't that bad. The Xlite is lighter, but I bought the Xtherm because for the few oz difference, I wanted a pad that would work year round.

I bought the regular, which is 15 oz. and packs down to Nalgene-bottle size. I like the inflation system too. The stuff sack doubles as a pump. It's hard to explain here, but you pop it on to the valve, let air enter the stuff sack, pinch the top closed, and squeeze air into the pad by circling the sack with your hand and pushing the air down into the sack. I read some negative reviews about this inflation method, but I didn't find it to be too difficult at all, and it allows me to avoid the water vapor that results from inflating it by mouth.

Good luck in your search.

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:37 am

I use a short Ridgerest and put pack and clothes under my feet. Even lighter would be a Gossamer Gear closed cell pad.

G

Postby kansas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:05 am

Navigaiter wrote:I just invested in the Therm-A-Rest Neoair Xtherm, and I couldn't be happier with it. I haven't tested it in the field, but I've tried it out on my hardwood floors, and it's incredibly comfortable. Yes it is noisier, but it only weighs 15 oz and feels like I'm sleeping on a heating pad, so I'm OK with the noise, which really isn't that bad. The Xlite is lighter, but I bought the Xtherm because for the few oz difference, I wanted a pad that would work year round.

I bought the regular, which is 15 oz. and packs down to Nalgene-bottle size.

I just switched to the Xtherm this year and absolutely love it. I've used it in temps below 0 and warm summer nights, it really is a pad for all seasons. Plus it packs down to nothing, with it and a 32 degree bag I can do a 3 day trip in my 24L pack. People complain about the noise, but in my experience its quieter than the Big Agnes pads.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Navigaiter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 am

kansas wrote:
I just switched to the Xtherm this year and absolutely love it. I've used it in temps below 0 and warm summer nights, it really is a pad for all seasons. Plus it packs down to nothing, with it and a 32 degree bag I can do a 3 day trip in my 24L pack. People complain about the noise, but in my experience its quieter than the Big Agnes pads.

Yeah we'll see what my tent mate thinks of the noise. Hopefully it doesn't bother others. That's the only wild card.

It's so warm, and I sleep so warm anyway, that for an upcoming trip, I think I'm just going to pack a fleece sleeping bag liner and supplement with clothing. I don't think I'll need the weight and warmth of my sleeping bag since the Xtherm is so ridiculously warm.

Postby shearmodulus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Used this one on Denali with a Z-Lite solid mat underneath. It's not too loud. In fact, I don't think it makes much if any noise once it's inflated and broken in well.

I have also used it solo here in Colorado for camping trips at around 11,000 with temps in the low thirties with no issues.

I learned a hard lesson as a young lieutenant in the field in February. Mainly - never, ever, ever skimp on comfort when it comes to sleeping. That is the time when your body recovers from the abuse of the day, and if you don't take care of yourself at night, you slowly degrade a little each day.

http://www.rei.com/product/830684/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby herdbull » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I can't believe I actually purchased one but I also broke down and bought a NeoAir Xlite. I swore I wouldn't due to the noise but my REI Air Rail was just too big and heavy to take to South America. Out of the box it's a wee bit noisy but I don't think it will be too bad.

I bought the Large for the extra width. For the life of me I just can't sleep on a 20" wide pad. I'm also going to use this with a Zlite. Should be a great combination.

If you can handle a little extra weight and size the REI Air Rail is quite nice and cheaper than most. It's 23-23.5 wide and the side rails hug your arms so they don't fall to the bottom of the tent. I also am not a fan of any of the ones with the tubes running the full length of the pad. I couldn't get comfy on my BAIAC so I sold it because of that.

http://www.rei.com/product/845298/rei-airrail-15-self-inflating-pad

Postby ezabielski » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Gabriel wrote:I use a short Ridgerest and put pack and clothes under my feet. Even lighter would be a Gossamer Gear closed cell pad.

G

Right. I use the Gossamer Gear Nightlite Torso, which is among the cheapest pads you can buy, but significantly lighter than any inflatable pad.

Comfort is a relative term.

Postby yedi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Has anyone used the XTherm by itself to sleep on snow? Is it warm enough to do that? I've got a NeoAir that I use with an old Ridgerest and that combination works okay, but not great. I'm interested in upgrading and may pull the trigger sooner rather than later if I can start leaving the closed cell foam at home.

Next