Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

non-marking chalk, GoG

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

non-marking chalk, GoG

Postby pvnisher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:09 am

What do you guys use for climbing at the Garden or Red Rocks Open Space? Not allowed to use white chalk there, although I suspect many do.
Metolius has an eco-ball, Mammut liquid chalk, colored chalk??

Re: non-marking chalk, GoG

Postby ClimbStewart » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 am

It's best to use red colored chalk to be in compliance with the climbing rules and regulations at the Garden of the Gods and Red Rock Canyon OS. You can pick some up at the GG visitor center as well as Mountain Chalet. A lot of climbers do use white chalk and there are no chalk police to actually enforce the rule although in summer when the safety rangers are out you could get reprimanded for using the evil white stuff. I've never heard of anyone ever getting cited for white chalk use.

Re: non-marking chalk, GoG

Postby Brian C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 am

I usually don't use chalk in the desert or the Garden as the sandstone seems adequate in drying my hands out, but when I started climbing in the desert I used the Eco Ball and it seemed to work just fine. For a little while I also used it to climb in the Flatirons/gym and it seemed to work ok. I've heard bad things about liquid chalk but have never used it. I also used colored chalk a little bit and didn't like that it still left a mark on the rock. I'd go back to the eco ball if I needed it.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth