Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

available water on Longs, mid-Aug

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

available water on Longs, mid-Aug

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am

How much, if any, water is generally available in mid-Aug on Longs? Planning Cables route without camping and trying to keep it light. Anywhere available to refill on the route? Generally clear (only needing a tablet) or murky and stinky?

Re: available water on Longs, mid-Aug

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:31 am

There is constant running water in/under the Boulderfield. You have to work your way down into the rocks to get at it but we had no problem getting it.

That has been the case both times I've been up there mid-summer.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 am

The creek below treeline would be one spot, but pretty early in hike, so would still be carrying water for a while. I've found the boulderfield to be hit-n-miss for water. Never been up Cables route, but I imagine there might be something leaking up there...whether it's collectable off the rocks is another story. Just put a tablet in your cheek and drink straight from rocks :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Liquid Shadow » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:33 am

There will probably be running water under the rocks at the boulder field. I would be careful though because the outhouses are near by and the boulder field sees a lot of human traffic.

There will be a couple of streams that run near the trail below treeline. But they are close enough to the trailhead to make them pointless for refills.

Postby Kitten » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 am

Boulder field is your best option, I remember filtering water there two years ago in August. Of course, it depends on the year and the snow melt.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby Rambler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I was up there Tuesday on the Keyhole route. There is easy access to water at the boulderfield climbers left of the campsites near the wooden triangle structures. Water was coming from snowmelt so it was cold and clear. Used a pump to filer/fill up before keyhole and on the way down again.