Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I think my kids have better gear than I do....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

I think my kids have better gear than I do....

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 am

my 6-year-old daughter got all her stuff out the other day, she is SO excited for our trip in Sept...

she has a reservoir for the bag, and she forgot to grab her Keens and hats...

Re: I think my kids have better gear than I do....

Postby SingleSpeed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Funny , my son has the same REI pack and has started his patch collection on it as well. He loves it!

Postby Upwardlybound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 am

My kids (now grown) have had better equipment than me for years! ;-)
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13

Postby spiderman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 am

My son definitely has better gear than I do. Most people's backpack by itself weighs more than my son's Z-Pack fully packed for an overnight trip. Gear sure has changed in 30 years. It sure helps to have the ultralight gear when he weighs only 80 lbs and we tend to get ourselves into long death marches with deadfall, endless talus, and steep snow. If he completely bonks on such a trip, I have to carry him on my shoulders for the rest of the way; it gives me incentive to make sure that his pack is as light as possible. Fortunately that has not happened since he came down with a boiling fever on top of Mt Rogers, VA. Skip the patch collection, cut off unnecessary fluff and you can save her a bunch of grams!

Postby bob863 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

I hate to say it, but it's really NOT about the gear....it's really more about your fitness and desire.....

I've run circles around people who have spent major $$$'s on equipment and forgot about their physical and mental "preparedness"...

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 am

It is all about the gear.

Postby klinger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 am

pvnisher wrote:It is all about the gear.

seriously. welcome to the interwebz.

I justify buying lighter gear so I can put more beers in my gut/pack....or do I justify putting more beers in my gut/pack because I have lighter gear.....

win/win

sincerely, fat beer loving hikers everywhere

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 am

she's fit... she's 6 years old and runs 8-10 miles a week... my 8-year-old son has done 4 10+mi bike rides already this month...

and good quality gear makes it so much more fun. ridiculously expensive gear? no. I got her boots for $40, that North Face fleece was $20, the socks were $4-5, hat was $8-9. she has a good "base-layer" shirt I got for $15, and the skirt was $15... cheap? no. but it's all stuff she can use for huge parts of the year, and it makes the adventure that much more exciting for a little kid.

She's missing one of her patches right now, I finally bought some more badge magic and in the last 10 months a couple have managed to go missing... oops!

the boy has all his patches on one side of his pack and his cub scout's sports/academics pins on the other... I'll try to snag a pic of that one...

Postby 3rdGenNative » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Dark Helmet et. al - BRAVO to those parents that get their kids suited up to play outside. =D> Kid-sized outdoor gear (snowshoes, rain coats, cold weather gloves, kid-sized packs, sleeping bags) are a pain to source but help your kid feel and perform like they should. It shows them how to use decent gear and increases their comfort and minimizes their whining & frustration which adds to the awesomeness of getting your family outside. I don't know how many wicking shirts, pairs of SmartWool socks and zip-off pants we have stored in the basement that nobody in the house can fit in but in days past, they were worn by our kids as we went out adventuring at all times of the year. Keep looking at garage sales and stuff so you don't have to pay full retail. Take heart, they're learning a lot each time you take them out and you're building great family memories.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby Dark Helmet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Here's the boy's bag...

he has 6 more "pins" coming for his letter at their next meeting.

Postby CharlieB » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 am

Tip from an old timer,
"Give your kids all your old heavy stuff and buy yourself new lightweight gear. You can then keep pace with them"
Seems very true. Works for teen agers that never get tired. Wouldn't try in on a young one though. :mrgreen:
If you sign up for a survival class and it's cancelled due to bad weather, you didn't miss a thing.

Postby Dark Helmet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:14 pm

CharlieB wrote:Tip from an old timer,
"Give your kids all your old heavy stuff and buy yourself new lightweight gear. You can then keep pace with them"
Seems very true. Works for teen agers that never get tired. Wouldn't try in on a young one though. :mrgreen:

My dad took that to a whole new level...

when I was 14 (5-9, 140ish... still that tall, 140 is long gone though), my dad took me duck hunting for my birthday... he knew we would need to cross a channel to get to the blind that was ~30" deep... this is my FIRST EVER duck hunt, so I have no idea what's going on...

he brought ONE pair of hip waders... so I got carry his grown arse across the bloody river... twice... on my birthday. I still rag on him about that 20-some years later.

this morning we got the kids all geared up and did a test-drive of all their stuff at a nearby "wilderness" area... the kids loved it.