Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Flying with Bear Spray

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Flying with Bear Spray

Postby paul109876 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm

has anyone flown with bear spray in their checked baggage? We are heading to the Tetons and Yellowstone next month.
Or do you know if you can rent bear spray canisters at any of the local sporting good spots their in Jackson or Cody Wyoming.

Thanks
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Re: Flying with Bear Spray

Postby paul109876 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:03 pm

I found that the TSA allows 2.0% concentration of active ingredients and up to 4 fluid ounces.
But my cans are 9 oz. so they are not allowed.

I made a few calls and found a Sports Authority there in Jackson WY that sells spray, so I'll play it safe and pick up couple of cans there.

Thanks to all anyway
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby steelfrog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Actually, transporting bear spray interstate violates federal law. Buy it there. Or, better yet, go without. We just came back from 11 days in grand Teton, Yellowstone and glacier and while we saw 2 griz, certainly had no need of it

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Over the years, I have moved from a .45 (10 years ago) to bear spray (5 years ago) to a mini air horn. SJ Ron :)

Postby clemsonmtneer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:57 pm

steelfrog wrote:Actually, transporting bear spray interstate violates federal law. Buy it there. Or, better yet, go without. We just came back from 11 days in grand Teton, Yellowstone and glacier and while we saw 2 griz, certainly had no need of it

Interesting... so you're saying that if I drive up to the Tetons/Yellowstone from Denver (which I'm doing in about a week) that it would technically be illegal to bring bear spray with me? Crazy. Oh well, I guess it's illegal in the same sense that it's illegal to bring Colorado beer with you into Utah, but that's never stopped anyone :roll:

Postby hotrod » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm

If it's illegal for bear spray to cross state lines, then how are they able to ship it to a customer?
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.

Postby cougar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Canada and the US have different laws regarding different types of bear spray, the type that's legal in one isn't in the other. I think Alaska also has a different standard. Never heard of not being able to transport it across states, but it's probably not a good idea on a plane if it's pressurized, and it's easy to have an accidental discharge (I witnessed one on a bus that knocked out the driver when a can fell out of the overhead bin - it is potent). As mentioned, you can buy it anywhere.

Postby RobE » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:53 pm

In Alaska (Wrangell-St Elias NP), they attached our bear spray cans to the outside of our small plane with duct tape.

Postby lordhelmut » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Definitely buy spray in Wyoming and bring it with you on your hikes. Even though an encounter is rare, it's definitely worth it to have on you in case you round a corner or stumble upon a pissed off grizz. Also, listen to SJ Ron's advice and make noise whenever you deem fit. Whistles work.

Postby prestone818 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:36 pm

steelfrog wrote:Actually, transporting bear spray interstate violates federal law. Buy it there. Or, better yet, go without. We just came back from 11 days in grand Teton, Yellowstone and glacier and while we saw 2 griz, certainly had no need of it

i'd ignore this advice. when i was in tetons in 2011 i had a run in with a griz with 3 cubs. also a few moose, one with a calf. better to be prepared vs over confident. chances are you will be fine like the other millions of people that travel there every year, but all it takes is one bad run in.

Postby gcoldewey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:05 pm

We did buy Bear Spray when we were hiking in Glacier NP, the Tetons and Yellowstone. I really didn't expect to need it, but thought I would feel really stupid if I got eaten by a griz because I didn't want to spend $50:)
Brought it home on the plane in checked luggage...not saying it's legal, just saying we did it. It now resides in my truck...figure that if it will stop a griz, it will stop a thug.

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 pm

This might help you, although their WY partner website is not accessible, but these guys might provide you some directions

http://www.conservemontana.org/content/bearesponsible-introducing-rentable-bear-spray/cnm81AB238F58304F407

Here's an article about the group

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/wildlife/article_ad348f14-721b-11e1-8cb0-0019bb2963f4.html
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Next