Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

National Park Rescues

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

National Park Rescues

Postby Porkrind » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Came across this info and found it interesting:

National Park Rescues
Search-and-rescue missions in the National Park System in 2012 cost the agency nearly $5.2 million, and in many cases the individuals spurring the rescues were ill-prepared or out of shape. The greatest "contributing factor" to people getting in trouble, according to the 2012 NPS National Search and Rescue Report, was fatigue or poor physical condition. Those factors were cited in 892 of the missions. Not far behind was "insufficient information or error in judgment," which was pegged to 735 of the incidents, and then came missions in which the subjects either had insufficient equipment, clothing, or experience (524 instances).
The annual report offers up some interesting stats:
Men were more likely to get themselves in trouble than women (2,240 vs. 1,329).
Persons in 19 percent of the missions were between the ages of 20 and 29.
What activity most likely will get you in trouble in the parks? 43.3 percent were day hikers.
Of the $5.2 million tab run up by the missions, the bulk, $2.8 million, was linked to personnel costs. Those personnel, by the way, spent 92,732 hours on missions.
Wondering which area of the park system you're most likely to get in trouble in? The rugged and expansive parks of Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Big Bend and Rocky Mountain.
Interestingly, in just four cases were personal locator beacons responsible for a lost person being found, according to the report.

Re: National Park Rescues

Postby Alpineair » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:34 pm

That is interesting. I guess I should hike with older women at night!
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:58 pm

It seems that most of the numbers you have presented tell us only about who, what, where, when, and why you'll find someone...if you're a member of the rescue party. They don't seem to tell us anything about where the actual risk lies.

For example, I would expect to find roughly (at least?) twice as many men as women in the backcountry areas where rescues are needed. So that breakdown of rescued males and females does nothing to support the claim that males are more likely to need rescue.

DISCLAIMER: Ladies, I'm not trying to say you're likely to need rescue, just demonstrating bad statistics.

...and wouldn't we all love to hike with older women at night?

Postby peter303 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:58 pm

The Rocky Mountain Climbing Rangers gave a presentation about recent Longs fatalities a few years ago.
Each case sort of started with the litany: "20-something male, hiking alone ...".
Statistically that probabaly covers a large fraction of 14er hikers.

These guys amy be giving a similar talk on July 22:
http://www.rei.com/event/52247/session/75128

Postby Exiled Michigander » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Fletch wrote:
BenfromtheEast wrote:...and wouldn't we all love to hike with older women at night?

Ahhhhhhhhh... the elusive Colorado cougar... Cougerificus Maximus... sooo magestic, sooo beautiful... sooo sensual.

They've been reintroduced, I take it? Migrating down from Aspen again?

Indeed. I hear they are really getting bad around Gaylord St. in Denver again this summer. Word to the wise: if you see one, admire from a distance.

Postby gone_skiing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:48 am

Hahaha

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 am

Fletch wrote:
BenfromtheEast wrote:...and wouldn't we all love to hike with older women at night?

Ahhhhhhhhh... the elusive Colorado cougar... Cougerificus Maximus... sooo magestic, sooo beautiful... sooo sensual.

They've been reintroduced, I take it? Migrating down from Aspen again?

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby lavicats » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks Gareth, I have a positive id on this cougar while hiking near the Teton Crest Trail last week.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Actually, I think the day-hiker rate is pretty good.

day-hikers likely outnumber over-night hikers 20-30:1