Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thin Jacket for Backpacking / Climbing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Thin Jacket for Backpacking / Climbing

Postby Valesia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am

Hello everyone.
I’m looking to buy a new jacket to replace my bulky hoodie. The jacket of choice would be used primarily for backpacking and summit-like hikes. It would be worn over a very light base layer and maybe cotton t-shirt.

Main things im looking for:
- Light and compresses well for backpacking
- Provides at least some wind protection for above tree line hikes or climbs.
- Is semi-insulated but not too warm like a winter coat. (Good for 40+ or those chilly mornings)
- Has Hood
- Wont break the bank (under $100 would be great but this might be asking too much)

I’ve been browsing around at stores and have found many I would love to buy but I’m not ready to fork out $120+ for something unless I know for sure it will meet my needs. If anyone has some words of wisdom please shoot me some ideas or links.

As always, Thanks for the help. You guys are the best!
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.

Re: Thin Jacket for Backpacking / Climbing

Postby ThuChad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 am

Valesia wrote:Hello everyone.
I’m looking to buy a new jacket to replace my bulky hoodie. The jacket of choice would be used primarily for backpacking and summit-like hikes. It would be worn over a very light base layer and maybe cotton t-shirt.

- Is semi-insulated but not too warm like a winter coat. (Good for 40+ or those chilly mornings)
- Has Hood
- Wont break the bank (under $100 would be great but this might be asking too much)

I’ve been browsing around at stores and have found many I would love to buy but I’m not ready to fork out $120+ for something unless I know for sure it will meet my needs. If anyone has some words of wisdom please shoot me some ideas or links.

In the summer I just take a rain jacket and layer under it as needed. I usually don't wear anything under it but a t-shirt. Take it off when it warms up and throw it back on if it starts raining. I just picked up a new Stoic Vaporshell Jacket off Steep and Cheap for $50. Has pit zips, hood, and left chest pocket. It will pack into a tiny roll. It should work nicely.

Here it is at backcountry.com
http://tinyurl.com/og3schc

Edit:
Just a word of warning about Stoic. I think it is made for skinny hipsters so if you are muscular or have a little meat on your bones I would go a size up from normal. I'm 5'7" 155 and the medium is pretty snug around my pits.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am

I wear a Patagonia Down Sweater more or less year round. You could probably find one at Wilderness Exchange for around $150. It's versatile and awesome, but doesn't have a hood.

GoLite also makes some awesome softshell hoodies you can get at your price point. The stores in Colorado are cheap and well stocked, but I see you're in WI. This may be your best bet: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Borrego-Windstopper-Softshell-Jacket-P46649.aspx

EMS makes some nice fleece hoodies. Cheap, too. I've got this one and love it: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11101579&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.11315851

Postby Valesia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:21 am

MountainMedic wrote:I wear a Patagonia Down Sweater more or less year round. You could probably find one at Wilderness Exchange for around $150. It's versatile and awesome, but doesn't have a hood.

GoLite also makes some awesome softshell hoodies you can get at your price point. The stores in Colorado are cheap and well stocked, but I see you're in WI. This may be your best bet: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Borrego-Windstopper-Softshell-Jacket-P46649.aspx

EMS makes some nice fleece hoodies. Cheap, too. I've got this one and love it: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11101579&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.11315851

I like those EMS ones too bad they dont have a large :(

Postby Rambler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 am

+1 what ThuChad said

I just wear a fleece under a rain shell if it gets cold. Have a Columbia jacket with hood that I got of the Clymb for $50. Great for wind/rain protection and packs down into itself really well for putting away (like a 8X8 inch pouch)

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am

Outdoor Research Ferrosi hoody.

I have three. And, I have worn them in every season in almost every weather condition from short hikes, to cragging, to multi-pitch to alpine rock and mixed.

Durable, breathable, wind-breaking.

There is no equivalent.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Valesia wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I wear a Patagonia Down Sweater more or less year round. You could probably find one at Wilderness Exchange for around $150. It's versatile and awesome, but doesn't have a hood.

I like those EMS ones too bad they dont have a large :(

They run on the large side. I normally wear a medium (5'10" 155) and my medium in this is a little big for me. Very long, plus it's stretch fleece and it doesn't stretch on me at all.

Postby Tim Jordan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Marmot Driclime Windshirt is nice nice and light.

Postby Kiefer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:40 pm

This is my go-to. Stupid thing is so light, I seriously wonder if I tied off the open ends and filled it up with helium
if it would float away!
Sweet jacket. $85.00
Drink Guinness!!

Postby Double Oh Seven » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I bought this a few month ago and have been very happy using it this spring and summer in the 35-45 degree range. Packs down really well. the sleeves are unlined so it gets a little clammy on the arms when you start to sweat. All in all a great jacket. I have only layered it over a t shirt or a baselayer like a capilene 2 or 3 and it does the job. Just as a reference for size I am 5'11" 172 lbs and a medium gives me plenty of room.

http://brooks-range.com/brisa.html

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:38 am

Valesia wrote:Hello everyone.

- Has Hood

For summer I only take a hooded jacket for rain and wind protection. My choice is a marmot mica because its light and packs down to nothing and got it for cheap ($80?) There are lots of choices. For above treeline overnights in the summer and just in case, I add a Arcteryx Atom LT. I use it in the winter for layering too. Very versatile love it. No need for anything else.

Postby Valesia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am

We im not sure who told me about this one but damn! http://www.rei.com/product/795421/outdoor-research-ferrosi-hoodie-jacket-mens?cm_mmc=email_tran-_-shipping_conf-_-20130704-_-itemdesc&RMID=ShipmentConfirmation_v1_20111028&RRID=2156777

I just got it today and I must say, I am very impressed. Ran water over my arm and it just beads off, Its very windy outside so I decided to take a walk and it breaks it like my wife's Panagoina. Its very thin and light, I can compress it down to a 1" Ball so it will work great for backpacking!

Thanks for the imput everyone!!

Next