Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quality knives

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Quality knives

Postby RenoBob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 am

I really like the French Opinel knives. They're relatively inexpensive and very practical. you can get them engraved. This is my favorite.
http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Opinel-knives-no-10-Corkscrew-picnic
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Carl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 am

Benchmade Griptilian serrated. Bought mine used on eBay maybe 5 years ago after it had been through a war and its still got plenty of life left.

Postby skiwall » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am

I just saw on their website that you can PERSONALIZE the Benchmade Griptilian... get whatever colors/blade/clip... and laser engraving. Now I kind of want one...
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby zinj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Some of the crustier ol' timers in the mountains just glare at whatever they want cut until it finally gives up and splits in half under their withering gaze
"Gentlemen, you are piling up a heritage of conflict and litigation over water rights, for there is not sufficient water to supply the land." - John Wesley Powell, 1883

Postby noreaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Cold Steel knifes are very durable.

Postby chrismjx » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 am

zinj wrote:Some of the crustier ol' timers in the mountains just glare at whatever they want cut until it finally gives up and splits in half under their withering gaze

:lol: Best answer so far... My budget is like $75-$150 per guy... A tanto style blade would be my preference, however I see a lot of attractive choices in the advice and links provided so far! Thanks :-D

Postby nyker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 pm

For a good lightweight, field strong folder with locking blade: Benchmade or Spyderco.

Postby Dex » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm

chrismjx wrote:I'm buying gifts for my groomsmen and looking for a quality, utilitarian knife. Not a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife, but a locking blade preferably made of durable materials... My hometown had an amazing, dedicated knife store, but Google doesn't yield any immediately recognizable wisdom on the topic for Denver...

http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/2010/09/etiquette-when-you-receive-a-present-that-cuts.html

Apparently it's bad luck to be given something that can sever. The blade, it's thought, will sever the friendship. It's especially bad luck for a wedding gift, where the fear is that the sharp edge will sever the marriage vows.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby XPLSV » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:26 pm

nyker wrote:For a good lightweight, field strong folder with locking blade: Benchmade or Spyderco.

Stick with the US made Spyderco knives and avoid the ones they outsource to China.
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...

Postby seth0687 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 am

Cold Steel is very under-rated. They have some of the best blades on the market for DIRT cheap. I have been using Cold Steel blades for years for work and they are amazing. I finally managed to "break" one once and they insisted on sending me a new blade for free. Best customer service anywhere. And not even a tenth of the price of a benchmade or spyderco.

However, if you want an uber expensive assisted opener I suppose benchmade makes pretty good stuff to.

1. Cold Steel
2. Benchmade
3. Spyderco
4. SOG, Kershaw, CRKT, etc.....

Postby ckbn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:28 pm

another company to take a look at although the prices are more, but the knives are first rate. has tanto blade models also:

http://emersonknives.com/

Postby rufhausen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 am

This might be a little late to help the OP, but I've recently re-kindled my interest in knives with the purchase of a Zero Tolerance 350:
http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/0350st

Incredibly solid and a little mean-looking. Can be had for just over $100 on eBay or Amazon. Lifetime warranty and free sharpening (a la Spyderco). I don't think the 350 comes with a tanto blade, but other ZT knives do.

Previous