Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boulder Area Rescue/Skills Practice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Boulder Area Rescue/Skills Practice

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 am

Welp, work is trying to pile on to the end of the day next Wednesday, so I likely won't be there at 4:30, but I'll definitely be there, probably by 5:30. Can't wait!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby heather14 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 am

I have to work late Wednesday since the office is closed on Thursday.

I'll watch for the next one.
What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. - Rene Daumal

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:12 am

How about Happy Hour Crag in BC? 10 minutes out of town, easy access without crossing creek, shorter single pitches with reasonable cracks. I'm in for any night of the week other than Tuesdays...just need a day heads up to adjust carpool.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby IronLionZion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 am

Hey guys I would love to participate or just watch as well. Wed at 4:30 works for me. The only technical skills I have right now are a bit of crevasse rescue but I want to get more comfortable with trad climbing/anchor setting/rappelling. I have harness helmet and shoes but no rope or rack.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby Brian C » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I think Happy Hour crag sounds good. I've never been to that one so let me know if I'm wrong, but the mountainproject photos make it look pretty good. I'll plan on getting there at 430 on Wed and bring the stuff I have (should be enough for a couple people). If others more experienced folks can bring some ropes/gear that would be AWESOME. Not sure what others have, but my "rescue kit" is 2 short prussik loops and a tibloc. I have a photo of my loops on this SP article I wrote a while ago if interested...
Climbing Hitches

If peeps could bring a few lockers, an ATC, and a cordellete we should be set. Anybody is welcome and I'm happy to share what I know, but know that I am NOT an expert. It's just nice to spend time practicing this stuff every once and a while.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 am

I can bring a couple ropes (50m and 60m) and some nuts and slings. Still building a rack so this is all I have at the moment.

I will head straight there from work. Should be able to get there around 5:00-5:15. As I will be running a bit late, I will plan on hiking up to base of rock to meet(?) unless group is still down at road.

Happy Hour Crag Directions:

From Boulder, take Boulder Canyon Dr. west (duh!)
From Canon Park (bridge) go 6.6 miles (according to maps.google)
Wide spot on South side of road just past Mile Marker 34 in left hand bending road
Trail to crag is on North side of road about midway through the bend (steep-ish trail - suggest shoes or strapped sandals, flip-flops would not be fun)

http://goo.gl/maps/M6fIi

See you all next week 8)

Cheers!
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby metalmountain » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:11 am

I will try my best to be there by 4:30, it might be a little bit after though. I can bring a rope, rack, prusiks, slings and such.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am

Bump - can't wait, should be fun!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Brian C » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:08 am

See you all tonight! I'll wait in the parking lot until a few people show up then walk up to the crag. If you show up later just go ahead and come on up!

BC
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John

Postby IronLionZion » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

I have to bail on this one.. got Friday off of work, i'm heading up to climb capitol! I would love to hit the crag with any and all of you in the near future!
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby ulvetano » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Late notice, but if anyone wants a ride, feel free to meet me at 4pm at REI and jump in. ping me if so. 415-710-six346

Postby Brian C » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:26 am

Had a good time practicing stuff yesterday!

If you wanted to go and couldn't make it, I still am planning on meeting with one other on the evening of the 12th to go over more stuff. As always, anybody is more than welcome to come!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John

Previous