Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: New Backpack

Postby climb4ever » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

I would highly suggest checking out Mile High Mountaineering. http://www.mhmgear.com. I usually have the Flatiron 42 on my back for hiking as well as rock climbing. The salute 34 is supposed to be a phenomenal day pack but I don't have it so I can't say. If you're looking for a snow specific pack then look at the Powder Keg 32.

To try them on Neptunes in Boulder carries their packs. The packs that I have of theirs are pretty awesome and I love them, plus they're based out of Denver!!

Postby laswa-guide » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Has anyone tried the MHM Salute 34?

Postby dannyg23 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Neptune doesn't sell MHM anymore, but the guy at the store says the packs are really awesome.

Postby gdthomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Since you're used to Gregory, the Z30 is terrific.

Postby wildone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 am

I know there are many great packs out there but for me, Osprey is the way to go. They fit me, are durable, have the features I want and are an all-around great product. I have the Mutant 38 and Variant 52 for alpine/climbing, the Stratos 26 and Kestrel 48 for hiking/short overnights, the Exos 34 for going lightweight (usually summer/fall), the Kode 38 for winter/snow, the Atmos 65 for weekends and the Volt 75 and Aether 85 for backpacking. I also have a Talon 33, Hornet 32 and Xenith 110.
A note on features; I know a few people have commented on the lack of hip pockets on the Variant. I have used for years a pouch that was the stuff sack for an REI rain cover. It is the perfect size and attaches to the hip belt. I can switch it between the packs that don't have hip belt pockets (i.e. the Mutant and an Osprey Exposure 50 I use for ice climbing). For me, I would rather not have hipbelt pockets on my alpine/climbing packs and attach something if I want. That is just a preference thing and the fact that the packs I use for hiking and backpacking (which is where they come in handy the most) have them.

Postby Dakota » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:40 pm

wildone wrote:I know there are many great packs out there but for me, Osprey is the way to go. They fit me, are durable, have the features I want and are an all-around great product. I have the Mutant 38 and Variant 52 for alpine/climbing, the Stratos 26 and Kestrel 48 for hiking/short overnights, the Exos 34 for going lightweight (usually summer/fall), the Kode 38 for winter/snow, the Atmos 65 for weekends and the Volt 75 and Aether 85 for backpacking. I also have a Talon 33, Hornet 32 and Xenith 110.

Do you have a backpack fetish? :) I do agree though, I love Osprey packs, and use my Talon 33 all the time.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:15 pm

I run a MHW Summit Rocket 30 for most days. It's bare-bones minimalist with almost zero features, but is crazy light, carries pretty well, and has taken a beating with minimal wear so far. Top loading with single lid pocket only, but has cinch straps along the sides that are useful for stashing shell, poles, sleeping pad, etc...Takes ice tools well on exterior and 3L bladder easily. Lots of gear loops as well.

*and came with a beer opener...SOLD 8)
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby nkan02 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Any recommendation for a canyoneering backpack? I completely shredded my old Osprey pack recently. Or is there a Goodwill store for old backpacks somewhere in Boulder maybe?

p.s. Also, in my limited experience, any Millet or Deuter pack >>>Osprey. Just completely different level of quality and fit. Of course, I value my Millet and Deuter packs too much to shred them in the canyons. :)

Previous