Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: New Backpack

Postby Dex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 am

Dave B wrote:
I will, greatly, second the recommendation for the Kode 38.

It needs to go on a diet!

http://www.rei.com/product/790730/osprey-kode-38-snow-pack

Check out the weight.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Voodoo302 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 am

+1 more for the Variant. I've had the 37 for about two years now and it's great. Never done overnights with it but every other kind of winter excursion it's pretty much been ideal. Ski carry is good as long as you don't mind A-frame, for snowboards or diagonal you'd do better with the Kode or something else. Snowshoes lash well to the quick-release side compression straps, the quick release ice tool holder is great for poles as well as tools. Also with the quick-release you can reach, unclip, and extract a straight-shaft axe without taking the pack off, which is REALLY nice when you suddenly realize you want one. At 3 1/2 lbs it's on the heavier side but it's built really well and it does have a number of features (it is the 'Variant', after all). Plus the suspension, waistbelt, and top pocket can be removed if you want to drop weight.

I should also mention that the service from Osprey is great. I destroyed my first Variant in a fall on Longs last year and I had a brand new pack in a couple weeks. No fault of the pack or manufacturing but they replaced it anyway. Very helpful staff and they really stand behind their product.

Having said all that... I also recently picked up the Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket 30 which weighs less than a pound and still holds 30L pretty comfortably. It's been amazing for light alpine days. Even in winter conditions it holds all the extras you need plus climbing gear. Couldn't get skis on it but probably snowshoes.

Postby kmetz » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:59 am

People should look into Boreas. It is a relatively new brand but their packs are really nicely thought out. I got their Muir Woods 20L on supersale off the Clymb about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it for both commuting and day hikes.

I got it to replace my Gregory Miwok 22 and it feels like it has twice the amount of room inside and carries the weight nicely. That said, it is not as good for trail running as it does not cinch down as nicely as the Miwok.

My 2c...

Postby Alpineair » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:54 am

My daughter has been bitten by the 14er bug, so we are looking for a better pack for her. We are leaning towards the Osprey Talon. Any input from women would be appreciated.We would like something mostly for day hikes, with the occasional overnighter. TIA!

The Boreas looked nice, but the only one we looked at was too big for her needs.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am

Before you buy anything, at least look at Millet. Great packs, particularly for winter and for carrying lots of tools. I love mine. That said I gave both an Osprey day pack and a 75-liter, both of which I love. My day pack does not have much for holding tools but it 's nice nonetheless.

Postby klinger » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 am

Well I'm certainly no mountaineer, but my Manta 30 has served very nicely in its transport of tp and ziplocks above treeline #-o

+1 Osprey

Postby kaiman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm

While I can't speak to the women's models, I would add another vote for Osprey. I have bought 3 different sizes of the Kestrel (a 28, 48, and 68), and they are all my "go to" packs no matter what type of mountaineering/backpacking I am doing. I particularly like the fit, the pocket for a Nalgene bladder, the gear loops for ice axes, helmets, crampons, etc., and some of the other features like the loops for a tent/sleeping pad. My oldest one, the 48 is now 4 years old and shows little signs of wear despite being on 4-5 dozen trips. Definitely great packs.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:58 pm

klinger wrote:Well I'm certainly no mountaineer, but my Manta 30 has served very nicely in its transport of tp and ziplocks above treeline #-o

+1 Osprey

I have the Manta 30 in red as well and it is absolutely a great pack!

It's light, durable and has some really cool features. The water system is awesome with the magnet on the nozzle, which magnetizes to the chest strap. I've noticed that it makes me drink more water and thus, I have better days. Osprey has absolutely NAILED their bladder system, too, as I have never experienced any issues with leaking and such. We went out to Chi Basin last hear and I took my big Osprey, but the bladder from my Manta. The top of it comes off and makes a ... well ... fanny pack ... lol ... but I was able to fashion a neat system where I could attach the nozzle to my belt and put the bladder in the pack with a little bit of room for food and some basic first-aid, etc. What a smart feature. Overall, I think Osprey makes some of the smartest and most efficient packs out there. My only downside to my Manta is there is not a real good place for an axe. I use the "pro" loop for my axe and it seems to work fine, but I wish there was more of a dedicated axe loop. That said, if you only use an axe sparingly, this is a great pack. Don't try and harness your skis to this thing, though. Definitely not up that challenge.

Here is the Millet pack that I have:

Absolutely awesome pack and I picked it up through 14ers, the Peuterey 40. I bought it a couple of years ago from a guide down in the Durango area, I believe. Extremely durable, has a side-zipping opening for easy access. This is more of a technical pack, for sure, but serves many purposes. I actually use this pack to travel a lot, too, because it packs beyond the 40L. I've used it for overnighters as well, going out light. It has a dedicated pocket for crampons, is designed to carry skis really well, has axe holds, pro rings, is bladder ready, etc. I don't like that it doesn't have a dedicated pouch to hold your bladder, but this is kind a non issue. Absolutely love this pack! It's my favorite of all of my packs, but a bit big for just a simple summer outing.
Go get it

Postby Nutmeg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Kode 30 in color Blue Smoke is on sale at REI for $82.83. Regular price is $139.00. I just purchased one and am impressed with the quality.

Postby Formed » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 pm

I have both the Black diamond Axis and osprey Kode 30. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. However I really like the waist belt on the Axis. It pivots at the lower back and is extremely comfortable. Not to mention the external crampon/rock climbing shoe holder that frees up space inside the bag. I do think the Kode is easier to organize all the gear, specially Avvy gear.

Best of luck,,,

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:51 pm

The Gossamer Gear Murmur works for me. It's 36 liters, perfect for day hikes and climbs. I use mine for summer Colorado hikes and glacier climbs in the Alps. Also used it last year as a summit pack in the Himalaya. Not bad for 8oz.

G

Postby MountainDawg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm really diggin my Osprey Manta 36. :-D

PreviousNext