Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

New Backpack

Postby speth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 am

I have a Gregory Z55 that is reaching the end of its life - I'm going to relegate it to packing in camping stuff instead of general hiking and climbing.

This pack has been my go to for wintertime activities, though it's honestly probably overkill volume-wise.

Any recommendations for something like a 30 - 35 L pack that I could use for general winter fun? I'd look at getting an Osprey (finally) if that's the recommendation.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Re: New Backpack

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 am

I hate to sound like an Osprey fanboi but their packs really do seem to me to be a cut above most of the rest of the market in terms of fit and features. Though I haven't bought one, the Deuter packs I've fondled lately have impressed me as well.

You ought to run up to WildyX to see what they have in stock these days. It's always nice to be able to try stuff on but still get it at a discount.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:09 am

I'm a big fan of my Stratos 24 for summer dayhikes, and I imagine the 34L version would be equally good for winter. I've also been salivating over the Variant 37 for a while. Tyler just bought one and hasn't stopped raving about it.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 am

I've been very happy with the Osprey Kode 30 as my general day pack, both for summer and winter. The various straps on the back are great for axes, ice tools, snowshoes, skis, climbing ropes, etc., and the suspension is on the burly end of what you'll find in 30L packs (which I like, because it takes nearly all the weight off my shoulders).

Edit - I also have the Variant 52, and can see the Variant 37 being a great winter pack (actually, saw one in use this weekend and it looked quite nice).

Postby speth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:25 am

The Variant looks sexy. I need to go try some on...
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby summit2sea » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:37 am

I have a Dakine Poacher. Probably a little overkill on the volume you are looking for, but I absolutely love it. Enough access points into the bag to make everything within reach. Carries skis, avy gear, etc... and to be quite honest, the way it fits on me, I have forgotten I'm carrying it from time to time.

Postby ezabielski » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I'm a big fan of my Stratos 24 for summer dayhikes, and I imagine the 34L version would be equally good for winter. I've also been salivating over the Variant 37 for a while. Tyler just bought one and hasn't stopped raving about it.

I also use the Stratos 24. But I think the Airspeed back panel is unnecessary in winter, and could get filled with snow. As well, the Airspeed design makes getting things in and out of the pack more difficult, not something you want in winter.

As far as summer goes, the Stratos backpacks are some of the best 14er backpacks I think you can get, at least for long days without water resupply.

Postby Dave B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 am

I have the variant and am a big fan of it. However, I think it's really more of a slimmed down alpine specific pack and lacks several of the creature-features I really enjoy in other packs. For example, the variant doesn't have hip belt pockets, an insulated bladder sleeve or easy access or multiple pockets (i.e. top loader with crampon pouch). It's a great pack if you will use the gear loops on the belt and want a pack that can carry a rack, rope and gear and then compress down to nothing when all that crap is hanging from you while climbing.

I will, greatly, second the recommendation for the Kode 38. I was convinced into buying this pack by Greg, above, and lordhelmut. For an all purpose winter pack I can't imagine anything much better. Separate waterproof pocket (i.e. mudroom), Huge hip belt pockets, insulated bladder sleeve, comfortable carry, large capacity, multiple pockets etc. etc..

In other words, i would describe the Kode as feature rich, while the Variant is more simplistic. I guess it comes down to which of those two styles you prefer.

Either way, Ospreys are great packs, I just don't understand why the include enough hip belt webbing to accommodate a person with an 80 inch waist.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 am

Dave B wrote:I just don't understand why the include enough hip belt webbing to accommodate a person with an 80 inch waist.

I've long wondered that myself :lol:
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Cruiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:02 am

I kinda like being able to loosen my waist straps enough to rotate my pack around to my side in order to access the main compartment without completely taking the pack off. Maybe that has something to do with the extra length.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby letourneau41 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 am

I recommend the PowderKeg 32 from Mile High Mountaineering. The back panel access makes searching for anything in the pack much easier. It also has a nice goggle pocket as well.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.

Postby Dukietown » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

I can't say enough good things about the Osprey Variant. I have the 52 and use it for just about everything. It carries well regardless of load and has just been a bomber pack. I've eyeballed smaller packs but they generally come in heavier. I ended up picking up a Hornet 46 for a summer climbing pack and love it as well. That being said the one thing I dislike about the variant is the lack of hip-pockets. I never missed it until I picked up the Hornet and it's a really nice feature. That Kode pack looks like an awesome winter pack as well.
"If there is such a thing as spiritual materialism it is displayed in the urge to possess the mountains rather than to unravel and accept their mysteries."

Next