Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Etrex owners.. cumulative elevation gain?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Etrex owners.. cumulative elevation gain?

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 am

I was wondering if any Etrex owners could help me out. I have an Etrex 30 that I’ve been pretty happy with other than the cumbersome UI and track recording. Not very intuitive or user-friendly, but it gets the job done I guess. I do like the accuracy that it provides.

Anyway, my issue is that the Etrex doesn’t appear to record cumulative elevation gain. There is field for “Total Ascent” which I always thought was cumulative gain, but upon closer inspection it appears to be net elevation gain. The only way I can really see getting a number for cumulative gain off of this thing is going through the elevation profiles and tabulating it yourself… which would be a major pain and not really practical. I assume this is similar for Etrex 10 & 20. Do any Etrex owners or fellow GPS-trackers have any thoughts on this?
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Re: Etrex owners.. cumulative elevation gain?

Postby Project Ralphie » Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 am

I have the Etrex 20 and was wrestling with the same problem this weekend - but in my case, "Total Ascent" actually shows cumulative ascent, but from the beginning of time, and it won't reset to start measuring anew. It just keeps going up and up and up. All the other functions but that one properly reset. Am curious what I'm missing.

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 am

Project Ralphie wrote:I have the Etrex 20 and was wrestling with the same problem this weekend - but in my case, "Total Ascent" actually shows cumulative ascent, but from the beginning of time, and it won't reset to start measuring anew. It just keeps going up and up and up. All the other functions but that one properly reset. Am curious what I'm missing.

I was reading on some other forums and heard people mention that exact problem. Someone mentioned that they did a firmware upgrade and the problem was solved.. so you may want to try that out.

I do like my Etrex, but man it would be nice to have a GPS with a simple and intuitive GUI... Garmin's GUI is really crappy.
-Tom Waits

Postby tdliles » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

I too have problems with the Total Ascent in the trip computer. The etrex 30 is more accurate on the track than my previous garmin, but the old garmin calculated total ascent better. Bad firmware for sure! The gps says I started at 6000, then went up to 9000. But the trip computer may show only 2500 in gain! How hard is it to calculate that! Should probably be closer to 3300 with a few ups and downs. Any way, no solution from my end...
Tom and Stef

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 am

tdliles wrote:I too have problems with the Total Ascent in the trip computer. The etrex 30 is more accurate on the track than my previous garmin, but the old garmin calculated total ascent better. Bad firmware for sure! The gps says I started at 6000, then went up to 9000. But the trip computer may show only 2500 in gain! How hard is it to calculate that! Should probably be closer to 3300 with a few ups and downs. Any way, no solution from my end...

Tdliles.. that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Did a quick training hike yesterday.. started at about 5900' and ended at 7400' and the total ascent read 1323'. It was at least 1500' ascent and with a few ups and downs I'm guessing it was closer to 1600'+. Kinda frustrating. I'm going to do some tests tonight and just go back and forth up and down a 50 vertical foot stretch of trail and see if it is cumulatively adding my elevation or if it just registers nothing after the first ascent (in which case it's just measuring net elevation).
-Tom Waits

Postby tdliles » Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Do you have the latest 2.87 firmware upgrade? I haven't installed that level, but not hopeful it would fix trip computer inaccuracies since that issue is not listed in the "problems fixed" list.
Tom and Stef