Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Inflatable Raft Rental?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Inflatable Raft Rental?

Postby TomPierce » Tue May 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Does anyone know of an outfit in Denver or Gunnison that will rent a 2-3 person inflatable raft? It would need to hold two men and a full pack (two ropes, a rack of climbing gear, etc.). I could buy one but don't foresee using it again, seems silly to waste the money on a purchase. Any tips would be most appreciated, thanks.
-Tom

Re: Inflatable Raft Rental?

Postby SingleSpeed » Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Check out Down River Equipment Compay in Denver. I am not sure if they rent them or not. If you could find a Hyside mini-me raft, that would probably meet your needs. JJ

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 pm

You'll have to let us know what you find out... I was looking at Curecanti Needle for later this year, and a raft seems like a good idea.

Postby TallGrass » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Does REI sell them? If you're not 100% satisfied... Don't how far you plan on hiking from car to water, but a well-balanced canoe isn't too bad to portage and would be more resistant to scrapes/punctures.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby ulvetano » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Here's a boulder option: http://whitewatertubing.com/

Postby TomPierce » Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Many thanks, all. SingleSpeed, I'll check out your suggestion. Ulvetano, that Boulder option looks like it'll work just fine as well. A 2 day rental is still far cheaper than buying one. TallGrass: I thought about a canoe/kayak, but getting it down to Gunnison would be a challenge in itself, I guess I'd need to rent or buy a rack to mount it on my car. Then the portage up and down to the river, just seemed like a raft would be more feasible, but thanks for the response.

Susan: The Needle is my target as well, I've researched the various routes and it looks very do-able and a lot of fun (amphibious assault!) I assume you already have a partner & plans, but if not you're more than welcome to throw in with us. If you're set, be safe and good luck!

-Tom

Postby TallGrass » Wed May 22, 2013 4:01 am

Couldn't one just hike northwest from US-50, down the wooded gully and cross Blue Creek? Dry bags (double as floaties) and a short swim? :-k
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby SingleSpeed » Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 am

One other thought for you. How about 2, 2-man duckies. They would be easier to pack down a trail and you could blow them up at the river. They are pretty stable, and can handle up to class 3 rapids easily.

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm

TomPierce wrote:Susan: The Needle is my target as well, I've researched the various routes and it looks very do-able and a lot of fun (amphibious assault!) I assume you already have a partner & plans, but if not you're more than welcome to throw in with us. If you're set, be safe and good luck!

Me and my buddy Stewart were planning on a late summer / early fall climb, when the river isn't running quite so high or fast. I did the Morrow Point Boat Tour last spring while doing some research for a book (yes, there are two waterfalls down there) and was thinking I might be a little more comfortable getting out there (with gear) on calmer waters. Will send you a PM later this evening - thanks!

Postby alsrun » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 am

I think Scenic River Tours Inc. rents rafts. Their number is 970-641-3131 and they are right on hwy. 50 in Gunnison.