Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sports Watch

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sports Watch

Postby highplaces » Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 am

Awesome Bean, thanks!

Postby highplaces » Sat May 18, 2013 8:06 am

I narrowed it down to the Garmin 310XT and the Garmin 910XT. Both specs list 20 hour battery life. The 910XT has some upgraded swim functions, a barometric altimeter (the 310XT has a gps altimeter), some upgraded training features and users have reported slightly longer battery life than the 310XT in real life use.

The 910XT went on sale yesterday for $299 (off $399 retail; sale runs through 5/27). I can send in my Garmin 405CX for a $50 rebate, bringing my price down to $249. The 310XT will go on sale on Monday for $169 (off $249 retail). The 310XT is not eligible for the $50 trade-in program. Both of these are the models that do not include heartstrap (I already have one) which is ~$40 extra.

I bought the 910XT, my deciding factor was the barometric altimeter. A GPS-based altimeter can be good, but the barometric is definitely more accurate (especially for dense trees or other poor satellite conditions). I was willing to pay more for the more accurate altimeter. Another factor was the slightly longer battery life which is the main reason I'm shopping for a new watch.

Super excited to test it out. Thanks to all for the advice and recommendations.

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow great price! Please let us know how you like it after testing it out. Did you end up sending in your old watch for the $50 rebate? The Girls on the Run is a great organization, I am glad to see that they will be getting these older watches donated to them.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby highplaces » Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 am

Yes, I will be sending in my old watch to Girls on the Run. Happy it can be reused.

Previous