Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sports Watch

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sports Watch

Postby justiner » Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Can phone apps be used when there is no signal to track elevation, distance, speed?

Yeah, as long as your phone has a GPS (which is most likely any Android, iPhone) it can act like a GPS unit and track that sort of stuff. They can really do just about anything a Garmin can do, with the right app. The downsides of using a phone for this is that it's not as tough as like, a Garmin (Garmin: waterproof! Phone: no.) and the battery gets drained pretty f'n fast - and then: no phone. I use my phone to track <6 hr bike rides and things like that. Anything else, and it makes a ton more sense to actually use a dedicated GPS unit. I've cheated with my phone, and use an outside battery pack to charge my phone as it's tracking, but it's a pain, and the micro usb cable likes to break. Often.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby swbackcountry » Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 pm

justiner wrote:
Can phone apps be used when there is no signal to track elevation, distance, speed?

Yeah, as long as your phone has a GPS (which is most likely any Android, iPhone) it can act like a GPS unit and track that sort of stuff. They can really do just about anything a Garmin can do, with the right app. The downsides of using a phone for this is that it's not as tough as like, a Garmin (Garmin: waterproof! Phone: no.) and the battery gets drained pretty f'n fast - and then: no phone. I use my phone to track <6 hr bike rides and things like that. Anything else, and it makes a ton more sense to actually use a dedicated GPS unit. I've cheated with my phone, and use an outside battery pack to charge my phone as it's tracking, but it's a pain, and the micro usb cable likes to break. Often.

good info. Thanks.

Postby bob863 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 pm

it may not be a sports watch, but my digital watch has been keeping very good time for the last 10 years (no battery change needed yet), it doesn't have all your "high tech" features (GPS, compass, internet, Facebook, Twitter, maps, phone, text, et al...)...it gets the time-telling job done quite well...I think I bot it @ Walmart for $15...

Postby swbackcountry » Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

bob863 wrote:it may not be a sports watch...

simple is better sometimes.

Postby dsunwall » Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 am

The latest smartphones have longer battery life, get one with replaceable batteries so you can carry spares. You can go a full day on one battery however, tracking on (GPS) but in airplane mode. Otterbox for toughness, although they are not completely waterproof. A dedicated GPS is simpler and tougher.

Postby bob863 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:11 pm

who trusts their life to a GPS that runs on batteries and is not reliable without satellite coverage?

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I have a Polar RS800CX Multi. At the time I bought it, it was the *only* GPS watch that went more than 10 hours. GPS unit is separate and uses a single AA battery. Lasts about 25 hours (AA lithium primary battery). When it dies, drop in a new and keep going...watch is separate and keeps on recording. A Barometric altimeter is a plus too.

It's probably dated now, it's 5-ish years old and there is likely newer and better stuff out there. The big downside is that it's *not* for navigation at all... no mapping, and no UTM data. You can get Lat/Long and that's it. It doesn't work with a Mac (natively) or with Strava, if you're into that (I'm not).

I've run 7 100 milers with it (Hardrock 3x ~36-38 hour range) plus tons of stuff in the 12-30 hour range and it's performed quite well.

Good luck.

Postby highplaces » Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Sugar Madison, I'll check that out.

Postby swbackcountry » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm

bob863 wrote:who trusts their life to a GPS that runs on batteries and is not reliable without satellite coverage?

I hadn't been considering digital watches and gps' and sports watches' limited life saving capabilities. I'm not sure this conversation is about life saving capabilities. I just want to know about ones that can track movement, position, and mapping accurately and continuously throughout an activity.

Postby bob863 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm

nope, digital watches can't save lives....if all you want is to track your day's activity, then buy the best sports watch you can afford...

Postby Bean » Fri May 17, 2013 5:51 am

bob863 wrote:nope, digital watches can't save lives....if all you want is to track your day's activity, then buy the best sports watch you can afford...

Retrogrouches aside, there are quite a few people who are interested in a watch to track the day's activity.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Bean » Fri May 17, 2013 8:18 am

FYI the 310XT and 910XT are on sale for insane prices. 310 starts Monday, 910 now. If you've been on the fence, do it now (or Monday if you'd rather the 310).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

PreviousNext