Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Map storage?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Map storage?

Postby yedi » Sun May 12, 2013 11:28 am

I really like looking at paper maps, but I haven't really figured out a good way to store them. Mostly Trails Illustrated and USGS quads, but a few other random maps. I've looked at those flat files on ebay, but they're pretty expensive and I'd rather spend my money on more maps. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Map storage?

Postby d_baker » Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I took two large pieces of cardboard that are slightly larger than a quad and made a folder with them. I taped one long side and short side and slide the quads in. Simple and cheap. The cardboard folder slides up against a wall in a gear room/closet/or whatever easy enough and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Postby MountainHiker » Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm

National Geographic and other folded maps: I have some copier paper boxes filled different categories of folded maps I‘ve been accumulating since I was a kid. I have also categorized some FedEX shipping boxes for maps.

USGS Quads and other flat maps. I have stacks of flat boxes. Some are from when I worked in an aerial photo lab. Flat sheets of film came in boxes that were perfect for storing quad maps. I also have some other flat cardboard boxes that were for shipping maps. Of course these are going to be harder to come by in this digital age. Map tubes are probably easier to find, but I don’t like the persistent curl in a rolled map. I consider tubes only good for temporary transport. One would think flat map storage cabinets would be entering the office surplus market. But it’s possible they get destroyed instead of sold because of lack of demand.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby killstorm » Sun May 12, 2013 2:28 pm

I store all of my hiking maps in my Salomon trail runner boxes, they fit perfectly.

Postby schrund » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I got creative with some 3/16" paneling, some thumb screws and a jig saw:
Attachments
IMG_2596.JPG
back
IMG_2596.JPG (19.42 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IMG_2595.JPG
opened showing map storage
IMG_2595.JPG (25.96 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IMG_2594.JPG
front in place attached with thumb screws
IMG_2594.JPG (17.6 KiB) Viewed 168 times
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief