Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rain shell

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Rain shell

Postby JB99 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 pm

I've only used it a few times in the late summer/fall so I don't have too much to go off, but I picked up a Marmot Hyper jacket that is about 11oz, really stretchy (my stretchiest jacket, including non-membrane softshells), pretty breathable and waterproof. Cost around $125 and uses their MemBrain Stata material. I've yet to test it in hard rain, which I tend to avoid, but reviews suggest its 'waterproofness' may be a weaker point. On balance, though, it seems to be a pretty ideal jacket for my summer purposes in CO, in that it's comfortable to wear above treeline, it's lightweight and packable, and unlike previous rain jackets (see Arc'teryx Beta, Marmot Precip, North Face Ama Dablam, $.50 poncho...) I actually wear it. It's also helmet compatible for high peaks or more serious climbing.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby Gabriel » Sat May 11, 2013 6:03 pm

I like my North Face Triumph anorak. At 5.75 oz it's hard to beat.

G

Postby JB99 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Depends what you want, the Anorak is hard to beat if all you're going for is shaving a few ounces. I found with my ultralight layers I would end up never using them, or being uncomfortable when I did. That's why I like the Hyper and MemBrain Strata, it's still lightweight, but I actually enjoy wearing it. Even my Arc'teryx, which was like 7-8oz, was uncomfortable to wear.

Postby Dakota » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 pm

A "true" rainshell would have gore-tex in it, that's why so many companies have made clothing using it (it is easily arguably the best). But it's definitely not the only option. As CO Native stated, most of the big players have their own membranes as well. The rain is short and light in CO, so really a top of the line GoreTex Pro is a bit of overkill in the summer. For fall, winter, and spring a great hardshell is priceless and can double as a ski/snowboard coat, climbing coat, and sometimes around town coat.

Now to get to my point. If you can score a good sale on a Hardshell with Goretex pro, I would say do it. I have a North Face (about 5 years old) and an Arc'teryx Beta AR that are both made out of it and they do NOT fail after an hour. The outer material (denier nylon typically) will soak if your DWR is worn off, but it will not go through the goretex membrane. The TNF coat was a $400 coat I got at their outlet for $160 and the Arc'teryx is a $500 I got for $260 on Steep and Cheap. They are fantastic coats but I would never pay full price for them, which means sometimes size can be difficult and color can be second choice. Gore Tex Pro does breathe but can be a bit warm in the summer not breathing fast enough and that's why most coats will have pit zips. $160 and $260 are still really expensive, but you can still get great shells cheaper.

In the summer when I hiked in CO, I have a Sherpa Thamel 2.5 raincoat on I got on steep and cheap for $36 dollars and it is absolutely perfect. It is their own membrane but still is going strong. It's thinner, more light weight and compacts really well. A goretex equivalent I assume is Goretex paclite. I keep it under the seat of my car at all times. I know a bit about Goretex because I worked at a Cabelas in college selling camping supplies. Cabelas made both goretex stuff and the their own dryplus stuff.

I wouldn't buy a plastic parker as some have mentioned, the wetness you will feel is yourself sweating profusely.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby Dukietown » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Gabriel wrote:I like my North Face Triumph anorak. At 5.75 oz it's hard to beat.

G

I love my montbell tachyon anorak. $75/2.3 oz. Vents well with the huge zipper and I like the hood functionality. Packs up crazy tiny. It's so small/light there's no reason not to toss it in the pack.

Previous