Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Final Three Items for Colorado Backpacking..

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: The Final Three Items for Colorado Backpacking..

Postby yedi » Fri May 10, 2013 2:40 pm

1. I've had a JagBags silk liner for going on a decade, and I've never had an issue with ripping. I don't do anything stupid with it, but I'm not overly careful either. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how well the silk has held up. I got a JagBag back then because I could buy it and ship it from New Zealand for cheaper than I could buy one here. Looks like the NZ owners sold the company to a Scottish company and I doubt that you can ship them as cheaply anymore, but if you're looking for a quality product, I can vouch for it.

2. +1 on the Tyvek idea above for a groundcloth. It's cheap, lightweight, waterproof, breathable, durable, and you can cut it to spec. If you don't want to buy a full roll, you might be able to buy a small amount from a local contractor. If that doesn't work, you can always buy it in smaller sizes from Z-Packs. Plus, as noted, the dirtbag cred you'll get is really priceless.

3. I've also never had a problem with my SteriPen, but I do carry a few chlorine dioxide tablets in my first aid kit as a back-up. Super light, and I prefer the slightly chlorine-y taste to the iodine taste. Plus, the tablets are individually wrapped, meaning their shelf life is 4 years instead of the 1 year an opened bottle of iodine tablets has. The chlorine dioxide will also treat crypto if you're super paranoid about having clean water.

Postby Tim A » Fri May 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks all for the advice. For what its worth, my bag is a Marmot Helium Membrain, rated to 15 degrees and filled with 850-fill down. Even with the the savings I got on the price, it cost a pretty penny and I want to take good care of it, hence my interest in liners. I don't think I'll need a liner for additional warmth in this bag during June and July, so I'm just looking for something which will keep my oils and sweat from absorbing into the bag.

Lots of information on the footprints as well, thanks! I'm leaning towards the Tyvek idea assuming I'll have time on a weekend to make a tarp out of it.

I had considered the chemical water treatment options as my backup, but leaned towards a mechanical filter because of its ability to sift particulate and dirt out of the water, which boiling or ultra-violating (we'll see if that term takes off..) don't do. Based on these responses though, you guys haven't had issues with dirty water in CO, so I'll definitely save some money in that area, thanks!

I'll be looking for climbing partners and mentors on this site shortly, as I'm very interested in gaining some couloir climbing experience now that I own the necessary equipment to participate (axe, crampons) and we have a snowpack willing to hang out until June when public school finishes up in Texas.

Postby TallGrass » Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm

1. Got a silk liner. Yes, easier to wash than bag. If you get white, you quickly see the dirt you're bag doesn't. :mrgreen:
2. DIY tykex, and if you grommet and velcro it right, it can double has a shelter/canopy and bivy.
3. ClO2 tabs (slim foil sheet) as back up for Sawyer squeeze. Coffee filter for prefilter can be handy. CO still has sediment and there are floaties in even the cleanest looking water -- it's the life's soup.

Book of matches and a few cotton balls half-dipped in candle wax put in a 2x3 ziploc makes a small, light fire back up for your smallest 10E/summit pack.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Previous