Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Golite Sale is on!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Golite Sale is on!

Postby DaveSwink » Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am

The Golite.com sale started today with 15% off. Love their Rush packs for summer 14ers and general day hiking.

There is a recent 14ers.com thread about a 20% coupon too, but I don't have details on that.

Re: Golite Sale is on!

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu May 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Is that 15% off their "normal" prices? If so, it's more like you're paying 255% (0.85*300%) of what you'd probably expect to pay reasonably. ...just saying.

I bought a pair of their running shorts once for $12 and enjoy them quite a bit.

Postby DaveSwink » Thu May 09, 2013 1:17 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:Is that 15% off their "normal" prices? If so, it's more like you're paying 255% (0.85*300%) of what you'd probably expect to pay reasonably. ...just saying.

Yah, their marketing/discounting model can make it hard to tell when a sale is a sale. I went to their site and put a Rush 14 pack into the cart. The pricing on that packs says it is comparable at $110 and it is priced already at a 50% discount at $55. When I put it into the cart, it was discounted another 15% to $47.

I think the short answer to your question is that this sale is 15% off of their constant "sale" pricing. Oh, free shipping on orders over $100.

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm

there is never a non-sale time for GoLite. However, I own running shirts and I love them. I've kind of outgrown them but I still wear them under stuff.

What's up with this company anyway? Is it just a marketing ploy? I haven't owned enough of their stuff to really know if it's just a bunch of s**t, or what

Postby ajkagy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:there is never a non-sale time for GoLite. However, I own running shirts and I love them. I've kind of outgrown them but I still wear them under stuff.

What's up with this company anyway? Is it just a marketing ploy? I haven't owned enough of their stuff to really know if it's just a bunch of s**t, or what

I still have the same super lightweight day pack I've owned for approx 7 years now and it's still in perfect condition...seems good to me!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby DaveSwink » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:What's up with this company anyway? Is it just a marketing ploy? I haven't owned enough of their stuff to really know if it's just a bunch of s**t, or what

Their marketing (all on sale all of the time) is a bit different. For the last couple of years, they have held a mobile sale that moved from one Colorado city to the next. I don't know that I would call it marketing ploy, but they don't mind taking an unusual approach.

I had a golite pack that I used moderately for four years and then sold for a good price because it still looked good and had good online reviews. My current summer hiking pack (Rush 14) has great design and functionality. After two years and over 100 days of hiking it looks almost new.

That's just one perspective, but it sounded like that's what you were asking for? Our experiences with golite stuff?
Last edited by DaveSwink on Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby justiner » Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 am

It's a marketing ploy. Golite isn't necessarily crap, but the idea is that you'll browse their items thinking you're getting better quality than what you're going to pay for (because hey: SALE), and you're not. It's a mental trick.

Example: I sell some widget for $1,000, but for YOU, I'll sell it for $500. But! the reality is that, "YOU" is anyone that wants to buy it. You feel special, but you need to act to take advantage of the offer.

Car dealerships use this type of ploy in their ads, as well. Show the high price first, then the, real (ie: sale) price: real price now seems not so ridiculous.

I've had their Trinity rain jacket and it sucked, and their costumer service sucked when I talked to them about it (no reply). I have their synthetic puffy vest and it's OK, isn't "Light" (or Lite - or whatever) and doesn't pack down small, and the cut is tight in the pit area, even for this whimpy upper-body cyclist, but it gets the job done. I've had their hiking pants and I've embarrassed my sister with the blown out holes in the ass after 2 months of having them. I'm not really going to buy anything from them, again, unless I nab it from a thrift store. I roll my eyes every time I pass by their store in Denver. Please. I sometimes wander into their store in Frisco, thinking hey! Maybe I'll get a deal - it is a outlet store, but there's no deals to be had. All their stuff is too expensive. GoSomewhereElse.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby catullus » Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 am

I have their 4-season tent (valhalla) and a jacket that's sort of inbetween a softshell and a hardshell that they don't seem to make anymore, and I LOVE both of them. Their stuff isn't crazy-cut-a-hole-out-of-all-your-utensils lightweight, but it's definitely on the lighter end and very high quality. I've had the jacket for 4 years, have worn it on every single hiking/climbing/skiing trip in that period of time, and it's still in TOP shape. Very impressed.

Postby TallGrass » Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 am

Bought a long sleeve wicking shirt once on closeout as a product test. Keep those AWAY from VELCRO. DAMHIK... Spent an evening with coffee and a needle threader and it looks decent again, but think I'll go with something that doesn't catch on everything next time. OTOH, Wickers shirt from STP seems to be holding up fine and cost less than the closeout GL. Also picked up a Columbia base so will see how that latter two hold up this season by comparison.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby pbakwin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 am

GoLite is a local (Boulder), family owned company with a true vision to produce quality, light weight gear. I have many GoLite items & have found them to be well designed, reasonably durable, and I think their prices are very good. Most outdoor companies use sales reps to get their products into various retailers. GoLite used to do this, and then also had their annual "tent" sales at selected locations to unload stock & seconds. This wasn't a great business model for a very small company like GoLite, so they switched to essentially 100% online sales at their tent sale prices. They save the overhead of sales reps and retailers. They do have a brick & mortar store in Boulder (maybe others) which acts as a kind of "flagship", and where they still sell the seconds &c. I believe the new business model is working better for GoLite and it means that everyone can enjoy their products at the same great prices we used to see at the tent sales. Plus, you don't have to stand in line. Note that online returns are free. (No, I don't work for GoLite, just appreciate what they're doing.)

Postby michaelgrundy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

I have had good luck with their rain jacket (carry on every hike), a base layer, and their quest 65 pack. The only thing I don't like about the pack (and they may have changed the design since I got it a couple years back) is that it doesn't have many places to lash on snow shoes or poles. Other than that, I have had no complaints about their stuff!

Postby unclegar » Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

I have used their packs, down jackets, a hardshell jacket, tent and down sleeping bag for some time now and am very happy with their products. The 650 fill down jacket finally gave up the ghost after I took it on pretty much all my hikes and wore it daily as my 'go to' jacket. The only thing I didn't like was a long-sleeved shirt because it snagged on everything including my rough hands. Also the synthetic jacket that I now wear daily is plenty durable but the zipper is kind of a pain since you have to hold it just right before it will unzip. The 650 down jacket was my favorite jacket ever and I would buy one again in a heartbeat if the new ones weren't all shiny. The old one was more of a dull black material. Tent is 2lbs 15oz and 0 deg mummy sleeping bag is 2lbs 10oz. I always bought at the semiannual sales at 50-70% off. Lately they have been trying stores in various locations. Last I knew they still had one in Ft. Collins in Old Town. I haven't needed anything for a while though so haven't been there.

edit: corrected weights for bag and tent after checking the tags.
Last edited by unclegar on Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Next