Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Footwear Dilemma - What to wear?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Footwear Dilemma - What to wear?

Postby dmccool » Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Salewa Mountain Trainers

Postby Liquid Shadow » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

dmccool wrote:Salewa Mountain Trainers

I have actually been looking at the Salewa Alp Trainer and the Salewa Wildfire. I think they would be a perfect addition to my footwear collection. Low ankle cut but thick and burly Vibram soles, exactly what I want.

Postby nyker » Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Liquid Shadow wrote:So I have climbed my first twelve 14ers in my trusty Columbia mid trailrunners (did Longs twice in them) and I know a lot of folks belong in the trailrunners camp. But now I have a pair of burly vintage Lowa mountaineering boots and my Evolv Cruzer approach/climb shoes, I'm starting to think that I should put some thought into using different shoes for different types of 14ers.

I'll be attempting the hardest 14ers this summer, including Capitol, Little Bear, the Maroon Bells and Pyramid. I know they are doable in trailrunners for many people, but would my mountaineering boots be more suitable for more difficult terrain like these? What about my climbing shoes? Would they be more helpful in the Hourglass gully or Knife Edge on Capitol?

Just trying to pick people's brains and see what your guys generally use for different types of terrain.

Thanks!

In short, if you current shoes work fine now (on peaks such as Longs which has decent scrambling sections) and have good soles remaining and you are not planning any snow climbs, just keep using them and save yourself some dough.

Your best footwear selection will also depend on whether there is snow on the trail and how much. If you purely looking at summer, it might not be an issue and trail runners or approach shoes will be fine (though the Elks seems loaded with snow currently, so maybe that means late summer this year); so consider that as well. Grip is also a key factor, so comfortable but worn soled trail runners may not be as good as newer mountaineering boot with new grippy soles. La Sportiva Trango S EVO boots are heavier than trail runners, but are light relative to other boots and have great soles for rock but also are good in Spring snow and hold a crampon nicely. I've hiked with some folks who always are seeking the absolute lightest shoe - then complain when it's too cold or not grippy enough or their foot hurts since the shoes might lack a harder sole like a real trail runner vs. running shoe.

Postby Kent McLemore » Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 am

Liquid Shadow wrote:Low ankle cut but thick and burly Vibram soles, exactly what I want.

The Patagonia A/C Drifter fits that bill.
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby Dave B » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 am

I'll just reitterate to wear whatever you find comfortable.

I wore hiking boots on Capitol, should have worn trail runners. The knife-edge is the easy part, the rotten sections below the ridge line are the problem and sticky shoes aren't really going to make it any better.

I wore approach shoes on Longs and was still even a bit nervous at some of the more slick rock sections. I found out that day that 16 miles in my approach shoes means I will lose at least two toe nails. I should have just worn trail runners.

I say find a pair of trail runners that are lauded for their traction, make sure they fit and haul-ass.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Steve Climber » Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 am

Liquid Shadow wrote:
dmccool wrote:Salewa Mountain Trainers

I have actually been looking at the Salewa Alp Trainer and the Salewa Wildfire. I think they would be a perfect addition to my footwear collection. Low ankle cut but thick and burly Vibram soles, exactly what I want.

The Alp Trainers pop up on Steepandcheap for $99 fairly regularly. I've purchased (2) rounds of them so far, but had to return both as they were too small. Normal shoe is 11, bought 11 and 11.5 and both too small. Haven't seen 12's available on SAC yet :? but if they come up, I'm snatching them and hoping third times the charm. Obviously haven't hiked in them yet, but even after wedging into 11.5 and walking around the house a bit, they seem like they will work well. Stiff soled for edging and toe stances, but fairly pliable uppers for comfort into the high mileage hikes. They are built on a pretty narrow last though so if you have wide feet, they might be a bit snug.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Liquid Shadow » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

The low cut version of the Alp Trainer is usually $69.99 on SAC I think. Good to know that they run small though.

Postby CarpeDM » Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 am

I'm with Dave B: whatever's comfortable. Personally, I like to go lighter because, as wildlobo says, I like to get the feedback from the rock/trail. In 2012, I did all my summer hiking and scrambling in Boulder X approach shoes - some were 3-4 miles of good trail that led to loose scree, talus, and grippy rock. The only real problem was dirt/pebbles getting into the shoes - so I'll probably add some desert gaiters this year. Having said that, I'm starting to think about having a little ankle stability and have noticed that Neptune carries a mid-top version of the Boulder X that looks intriguing. (I won't buy from Neptune anymore, but I'll look into the shoe.)

Good luck with your climbs!
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby passionforhiking » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Please explain what an approach shoe is!!

Postby crossfitter » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm

It's what you would get if trail runners and rock shoes bumped uglies. Really comfortable and work very well for climbing up to 5.6-5.7
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Liquid Shadow » Wed May 08, 2013 9:12 pm

These are the approach shoes I'm currently wearing for low 5s. They are Evolv Cruzers. They are pretty minimal though, closer to rock shoes than trail runners. I wouldn't feel comfortable hiking in them, plus I want to save the soles for rocks.
Attachments
PC2301272.jpg
PC2301272.jpg (310.11 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Postby Steve Climber » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am

Liquid Shadow - how do you like those? I was checking out approach shoes last night online and ran across them. They are VERY minimalistic which I think I would like for low 5th multi-pitch scrambles, but mixed feelings on being able to hike in them for a while too.

Crossfitter - same question to you, as I was checking those Scarpas out too (assuming that picture is you). Those seem like they would hike better, but not sure how I would like climbing in them...Would be cool to see the rest of that ink too :mrgreen:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

PreviousNext