Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping Pads

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sleeping Pads

Postby mtnview » Sat May 04, 2013 9:45 am

Exped Down UL 7, very pricey but if you like to avoid the "hip pointer" that one can get from thinner stuff it's worth the investment. Surface is not noisy like the Neoair and others. This would handle year round conditions so one mat for all seasons.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:49 am

herdbull wrote:All I know is these new Neoair mattresses are like sleeping on corn flakes. One big fart in the middle of the night and your tent mate will go through the roof :-D

I passed on buying one just because of the noise factor. You blink your eyes and the gosh darn thing made noise.

it is noisy compared to other sleeping pads but i've never woken up on it because of the noise and the only time i've had a tent partner complain about the noise was when they were trying to go to sleep, but once asleep i've never had anyone wake up due to the noise.

Postby TallGrass » Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am

herdbull wrote:All I know is these new Neoair mattresses are like sleeping on corn flakes.
climbingaggie03 wrote: i've never had anyone wake up due to the noise.
+1 To me it's no different than sleeping on pine needles, dead leaves, or other natural bedding which can also make noise.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby herdbull » Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm

lol, I must have had a dud then cause you hear it 50 feet away in the store. Not worth any amount of money to me when it makes that much noise.

I settled on the REI AirRail as it fit me better and hugged my arms while in the mummy bag. I couldn't get used to the BA's tubes.

Postby XMULE » Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 am

Not to derail this thred but, while on the topic of sleeping pads . . .

My pad (Thermorest) seems to have developed a slow leak. Needed to blow it up 5 or 6 times during the course of a restless night last weekend.

What is the best way to locate the leak? When I got home, I blew the pad up and wiped small portions of it with (slightly) soapy water, but didn't see any bubbles. Next step is to put it in a bathtub of water and check. Any other ideas?
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am

Dunking it in a pool is the best way that I have found leaks. Or last week I took one to a pool in the river. Bathtub will work but I find it best if you can dunk the whole thing at one time.

Postby GregMiller » Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 am

I just used a bathtub to find the leak in my thermarest, just inflated it all the way, and dipped part of it at a time until I found the obvious stream of bubbles, and I'm planning to use some aquaseal to seal it tonight.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Dukietown » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 am

Absolutely love my neo-air. I've never had a problem with the noise and my fiancee has never woken up because of it. It's so dang comfortable and adjustable. I usually inflate it as far as I can and then lay on it and air it down just a touch until it's comfortable. Night and day difference over any closed cell pad i've tried. It also packs down smaller than a nalgene bottle and is super light. I also carry a z-lite in the winter for the extra warmth and the backup in case the air mattress gets a leak. Also I can put damp clothes between the two pads and dry them out overnight.
"If there is such a thing as spiritual materialism it is displayed in the urge to possess the mountains rather than to unravel and accept their mysteries."

Postby dsunwall » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

XMULE wrote: Next step is to put it in a bathtub of water and check. Any other ideas?
send it back, they will send you a new one fairly quick.

Postby Presto » Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am

by dsunwall » Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm
send it back, they will send you a new one fairly quick.

+1 ... over the years, we have done that a couple of times with no qualms. They will replace damaged/defective thermarests. Deal directly with the manufacturer (Cascade Designs, I believe).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Previous