Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avy Shovel/Fluke/Picket

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Avy Shovel/Fluke/Picket

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 am

KyleS wrote:
GravityPilot wrote:If you get rinsed in a slide that thing will tear right off you. People lose backpacks, clothing, etc... ...Avy rescue gear belongs inside a backpack period.
Wait, didn't you just say that people lose backpacks, too?
But yeah, I see your point.

My point is that a backpack in your car isn't going to save anyone. Better to have a system that you will carry all the time than a system you carry sometimes.
And to the original topic, you'd need all sorts of gear to make use of a picket or fluke so you'd obviously be wearing a backpack.

I fall too much :oops: to ride around with a shovel just strapped to my back. I keep my gear in my pack for its security and my own skin's protection. One thing that can help a pack from being stripped is to make a leg loop out of a small piece of webbing that attaches to the pack, goes around one leg through crotch. If you have a chest strap, waist strap, shoulders, and a leg loop fastened and the slide is violent enough to still rip it off you, my guess is you're dead anyway from trauma.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Re: Avy Shovel/Fluke/Picket

Postby KyleS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 am

aboynamedmargrette wrote:I fall too much :oops: to ride around with a shovel just strapped to my back. I keep my gear in my pack for its security and my own skin's protection.

I'll admit that I've had the handle of my shovel clock me in the back of the head once or twice...
But it has also saved my ass, literally. I was approaching a rock drop when the pillow on top of it broke loose, sending me somersaulting down exposed rock. I did most of a front flip and landed on my lower back on a rock, and the shovel blade protected what would've certainly been a sacral fracture otherwise.

I want to reiterate that this is not my normal setup - I do have a backpack that I use regularly. But when the situation doesn't warrant a backpack, I can still have my avy gear with me. I also have a stand-alone avalung rather than one built into a backpack for the same reason.

Previous