Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's In Your Bag??

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

What's In Your Bag??

Postby Gen131 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

In a recent survey of my gear I realized that I have been carrying some "emergency tinder" for the last 25 years!! When I started to carry my own hiking/backpacking pack as a kid I kept a portion of newspaper in a plastic bag for my emergency fire; I have since upgraded. I noticed the date on the paper is from 1988. Even though I have upgraded I can't seem to let go of this package from the past and continue to carry it on every hike trip regardless of length. I'm curious; does anyone else continue to carry around stuff that they don't need but just can't let go of or am I just crazy for transplanting this "tinder" from one hiking pack to the next.

Re: What's In Your Bag??

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm

I didn't so much carry it intentionally as I put it on a zipper pull forever ago and forgot about it...I had one of those little green army men (Bazooka guy) on main zipper. Once I noticed it a few years ago, I just left it as part of my pack, until THIS year. Broke off BOTH zipper pulls in a run-in with a low tree branch coming back down Shavano. I found one of them in the hood of my shell, but the one with Bazooka Joe is gone. Maybe I should post up in Lost and Found offering a beer to anyone who returns him :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Snowball has been climbing with me since the early 90s and can claim hundreds of fourteener and other summits.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby JB99 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't bring it on every hike, but I have a compass/thermometer combo I bought at Jax when I was around 6-7. It's the first thing I can remember buying with my own money, and I believe it cost me $2.50.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby awilbur77 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:55 pm

I carry a little braclet my daughter made out of beads when she was 5 or 6. It's actually clipped to my pack to remind me to not take unnecessary risks.