Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Body system cleanse

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby dmccool » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 am

Lots of good ideas here:
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby HULKHIKEGOOD » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 am

I am not using this to promote myself at all, but I am a personal trainer with over a decade of expierence and I have found through all of the fad diets, get lean/fit quick schemes, supplements, etc. that there is one truth, there is no substitute or replacement for a proper diet. Clean up your eating, tweak it as your fitness level/goals dictate, and the rest will work it's self out! In my opinion, and I can not stress that enough, Optimal living is 80% diet and 20% fitness. Remember the old adage, " you can't out train a poor diet", this in my opinion is 100% true! My 2 cents.

MountainMedic, you have been officially recruited as my medical officer on my away team! :-D
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."- Philippians 4:13

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 am

And for all but the last several thousand of those millions of years, our species regularly went long periods of time without food, interspersed with times of red meat gorging.
Early humans were HUNTER GATHERERS. Just because they didnt have red meat to eat, didnt mean they didnt eat anything.

I dont know much about fasting first hand, but I do know that the several doctors I have asked about it said not to do it. At very least CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR before trying this.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby tornado » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:12 am

Go vegan! Meat rotting in your colon at 98.6 degrees for a day or two doesn't sound like a good way to detoxify to me. I've never felt better since switching my diet to not only vegan but nutrient dense, simple foods. People scoff at the thought of giving up animal products but it's been like magic for me.

Postby greenhorn1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am

Oman wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:If you really want to clean out your body, go Paleo for a month. Cut out the grains, dairy, beans, processed foods, sugar and eat only real food your great-grandmother would recognize: meat, vegetables and fruit.

My great-grandma lived on cabbage, potatoes, vodka, and tobacco. Makes me think twice about paleo.

I keep hearing how great cabbage is for IBS so I went to KFC and bought some cole slaw. Nothing happened.
Then at Costco I bought a huge box of fried Ling Ling Cabbage Rolls. No change either.
I guess I'll move on to eating potatoes. Of course they'll be fried from Mcd's. I'll let you know how that goes. :lol:
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby greenhorn1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 am

I was just reading Scott Jurek's new book, Eat and Run and in it he talks about his choice to go Vegan. One of his reasons for not eating eggs was because he felt eggs are created in cruel envioronments. But what if those eggs are organic and come from pasture raised chickens? No mistreatment whatsoever. They live like kings. Would that allow for an exception to the rule? I can see going Vegan but I can't understand the egg part of it. Anyone?
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am

Fletch wrote:
What's everyone's take on vegan?

I ate a vegetable once, not really for me.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Arkenstone » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 am

tried paleo for a month...had to follow it up with a full course of antibiotics

Postby kansas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 am

Arkenstone wrote:tried paleo for a month...had to follow it up with a full course of antibiotics

What exactly were you doing with the meat?
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby MountainMedic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 am

In an effort to lose my recently gained injury weight, I elected to try the new squirrel diet fad. I started it this morning. While I know I'm not a small rodent, someone called me squirrelly once, and I really admire the squirrel for its tree-climbing ability.

Breakfast: 5 acorns, raw
Morning snack: 1 pinecone, raw
Lunch: 10 pine nuts, previously digested and excreted in bird feces
Afternoon snack: 3 mushrooms, of any variety
Dinner: Green vegetation, raw
Dessert: 2 walnuts, boiled in my own tears (I know, I know, but I was feeling like I deserved a treat!)

Postby rijaca » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:49 am

I find that copious quantities of tequila and green chile is very effective. I might feel like crap for a couple of days after the treatment, but then I feel great!

Postby Dex » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 am

Magnum420 wrote:
And for all but the last several thousand of those millions of years, our species regularly went long periods of time without food, interspersed with times of red meat gorging.
Early humans were HUNTER GATHERERS. Just because they didnt have red meat to eat, didnt mean they didnt eat anything.

I dont know much about fasting first hand, but I do know that the several doctors I have asked about it said not to do it. At very least CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR before trying this.

Humans are omnivores - we have eaten all types of foods and that may be one reason why there are so many of us now.

The idea that humans didn't eat red meat in the past is not founded in reason or history.

In fact humans may have eaten a lot of red meat in the past.

"This seems to strengthen the view that human impact—mainly hunting—was the predominant cause in other places as well as in Australia."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=hunters-killed-off-big-animals-australia

Look at the relationship between the American Indian and the Buffalo.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext