Forum

Body system cleanse

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby screeman57 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Dave B wrote: I'd love to see some studies that show positive benefits from cleanses, I certainly couldn't find any.

Why would such studies exist on the level of those done to meet FDA approval? Who funds such studies, and in who's commercial interest is it to counteract the prevailing science of the pharmo-industrial complex?

I, too became very interested in the topic and practices of cleansing years ago and had exactly the opposite experience of Dave B. The Gershon institute, for one keeps records of it's success (in terms of remission rates). Andrew Weil's website has links to many studies demonstrating the efficacy of various cleansing programs (which match my experience). Fasting is not an extreme measure--it's something our bodies are naturally adapted to do.

To the OP, do your own research, and you will find a lot of anecdotal evidence on both sides. A healthy skepticism is good--knee-jerk naysaying is not (I say to no-one in particular). My own anecdotal "evidence" is that a 3-day juice fast, while difficult, leaves me feeling rejunivated, energetic, and less inclined to crave "junk" (at least until my next road trip...).
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby catullus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:07 pm

screeman57 wrote:My own anecdotal "evidence" is that a 3-day juice fast, while difficult, leaves me feeling rejunivated, energetic, and less inclined to crave "junk" (at least until my next road trip...).

I think a 3-day juice fast is totally reasonable, but it's not really a "cleanse." There's no evidence to support the claim that you are getting rid of any built-up toxins. You are, however, increasing your intake of vitamins and other nutrients, and if you don't regularly eat enough fruits and vegetables, I could see that being beneficial. You have to make a lot of juice to make sure you are getting enough calories to not feel fatigued.

Postby catullus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

* Also, always consult with your doctor before undergoing any radical changes in your diet, especially if you have any chronic medical conditions.

Postby MatB » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:17 pm

I have some all natural organic snake oil which will reverse years of aging, improve your mental clarity, burn fat, and provide male enhancement that I'd be willing to sell you.[/quote]

Just PMed you, this stuff sounds incredible and I'm willing to pay top dollar.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby Oman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm

bergsteigen wrote:If you really want to clean out your body, go Paleo for a month. Cut out the grains, dairy, beans, processed foods, sugar and eat only real food your great-grandmother would recognize: meat, vegetables and fruit.

My great-grandma lived on cabbage, potatoes, vodka, and tobacco. Makes me think twice about paleo.

Postby edhaman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 pm

"...The Journal of Chiropractic Medicine conducted a peer-reviewed study focused on this particular cleanse program and its health benefits." Kind of like the snake oil salesman getting the endorsement of the Tarot card reader.

And anecdotal "evidence" is not the same as an objective, properly conducted scientific study. Even with properly conducted studies, you need to look at the raw numbers, rather than percentages which can be meaningless. For example, a study that reports that eating a diet heavy in fat resulted in a 30% increase in a particular type of cancer, could only mean that your chances of getting cancer go from 3 people in a billion to 4 people in a billion.

Postby unclegar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 pm

crossfitter wrote:I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap.

Had to laugh out loud at this one. Sounds like a great book title. :lol: good stuff
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby USAKeller » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 am

Haven't had a chance to look through this whole thread yet so I'm not sure if it's been said, but Glycine (about 1g per day) is a natural liver and kidney detoxifier too.
Don't ever let them outwork you. Rise and grind, every day.
Instagram

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 am

crossfitter wrote:It's not. Your liver and kidneys are custom-built with millions of years of design updates to break down substances. There are substances which won't be removed from your system like heavy metals, but drinking lemon honey-water voodoo slurry won't remove those either.

And for all but the last several thousand of those millions of years, our species regularly endured long periods without food, interspersed with times of red meat gorging. I have no scientific knowledge on fasting or "cleansing," but reason leads me to believe our bodies are quite capable of handling periodic fasts.
Last edited by Kent McLemore on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-km

Postby MountainMedic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am

Cleanses are generally unnecessary at best, and may even be bad if done incorrectly. If you flush out everything in your intestines, you lose the healthy bacterial flora MEANT to be there. Much of what you eat (or should be eating) is a vegetable containing a plant cell wall made of cellulose. The human GI tract can only break down cellulose using these bacteria. So in other words, if you flush out all the good bacteria, you won't be able to digest all those healthy foods you should've been eating in the first place.

As for stuff sitting around in your kidneys and liver: your liver is largely responsible for processing fats. Fats are emulsified by bile (produced in the liver and released by the gall bladder into your small intestine). In the absence of natural intestinal flora, this process is altered, leading to acid and electrolyte imbalances. High stomach acid content can create ulcers (leading cause of upper GI bleeding). Your colon reabsorbs approx. 5 liters of water per day, so screwing with its natural function is obviously bad. With a high body fat percentage, fat soluble toxins may accumulate in adipose (fatty) tissue. A cleanse won't fi this; a healthy diet and lifestyle will. Toxins won't accumulate in a healthy liver, and certainly not in the kidneys.

This is EXACTLY like other nutritional fads: it promotes snake oil cures over the difficult truth that eating well and getting exercise are the real ways to stay healthy.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/01/colon-cleansing-not-so-cleansing-after-all/

Postby douglas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 am

USAKeller wrote:Haven't had a chance to look through this whole thread yet so I'm not sure if it's been said, but Glycine (about 1g per day) is a natural liver and kidney detoxifier too.

Umm...so you're detoxifying the detoxifier?

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 am

MountainMedic wrote:Cleanses are generally unnecessary at best, and may even be bad if done incorrectly. If you flush out everything in your intestines, you lose the healthy bacterial flora MEANT to be there. Much of what you eat (or should be eating) is a vegetable containing a plant cell wall made of cellulose. The human GI tract can only break down cellulose using these bacteria. So in other words, if you flush out all the good bacteria, you won't be able to digest all those healthy foods you should've been eating in the first place.

As for stuff sitting around in your kidneys and liver: your liver is largely responsible for processing fats. Fats are emulsified by bile (produced in the liver and released by the gall bladder into your small intestine). In the absence of natural intestinal flora, this process is altered, leading to acid and electrolyte imbalances. High stomach acid content can create ulcers (leading cause of upper GI bleeding). Your colon reabsorbs approx. 5 liters of water per day, so screwing with its natural function is obviously bad. With a high body fat percentage, fat soluble toxins may accumulate in adipose (fatty) tissue. A cleanse won't fi this; a healthy diet and lifestyle will. Toxins won't accumulate in a healthy liver, and certainly not in the kidneys.

This is EXACTLY like other nutritional fads: it promotes snake oil cures over the difficult truth that eating well and getting exercise are the real ways to stay healthy.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/01/colon-cleansing-not-so-cleansing-after-all/

+1

Eat less junk, move around more, drink lots of water. Nature is pretty well equipped to deal with the rest.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

PreviousNext