Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Body system cleanse

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby chrismjx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Ha ha ha! OK, OK I get it. I'm sorry I asked. Maybe I just wanted to give myself diarrhea for some sort of sexual masochistic reasons? Thank you all for your input, guess I'll skip the taco bell for lunch today... :lol:

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 pm

chrismjx wrote:I was just wondering that IF a person were to go down the cleansing path to find out what it can offer them, what advice might folks have to share?


If you really want to clean out your body, go Paleo for a month. Cut out the grains, dairy, beans, processed foods, sugar and eat only real food your great-grandmother would recognize: meat, vegetables and fruit.

No need to consume an overly processed and chemical laden "cleanse" shake or whatever.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

User avatar
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby aliciaf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 pm

There's a cleanse system called The Ultimate Reset that is sold by the same people who created Shakeology, P90X, Insanity, etc. It's 21 days long and it's not one of those juicing cleanses. You eat real food and take some supplements (all natural ingredients - no chemicals add) to cleanse your insides. It focuses on a clean diet. I'd be more than happy to share a link with anyone who's interested - I'm a rep for the company.

I should also add that The Journal of Chiropractic Medicine conducted a peer-reviewed study focused on this particular cleanse program and its health benefits.

Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby catullus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

aliciaf wrote:There's a cleanse system called The Ultimate Reset that is sold by the same people who created Shakeology, P90X, Insanity, etc. It's 21 days long and it's not one of those juicing cleanses. You eat real food and take some supplements (all natural ingredients - no chemicals add) to cleanse your insides. It focuses on a clean diet. I'd be more than happy to share a link with anyone who's interested - I'm a rep for the company.


Here's a link to the study: http://www.journalchiromed.com/article/S1556-3707(13)00004-7/abstract

The study was seriously flawed and would not have been accepted to any allopathic medical journal. There was no control group, so there's absolutely no evidence that the results were in any way related to the intervention.

User avatar
Posts: 7347
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Just schedule a colonoscopy. They'll give you a good "cleanse" to follow beforehand. Here is what I used a few years ago. The instructions start on page 5.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

User avatar
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 am

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Dave B wrote:
crossfitter wrote:I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap. Your body is well equipped to handle "toxins" and there is absolutely no evidence that cleanses do anything beyond a placebo effect.


lol

+1

Cleanses are a fad and have little evidence to back up any claims of efficacy. If you desire a diet that will make you feel better simply cut out processed crap. Have fruits and vegetables comprise the majority of your diet, remove fattier meats and eat lotsa beans.

That'll clean you right out.

Edit to add: I tried the juice "cleanse" a la Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead with my wife for four days and never felt crappier. Supposedly you don't begin to feel the "wonderful" benefits till after seven days but I couldn't stand another glass of liquified kale at that point.



Just speaking from experience:
I am a crossfitter (3-4x a week)
I eat mostly paleo (exceptions are coffee and quinoa, some greek yoghurt)
I did the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead juice fast for several days, and I still juice just about every other day.
NONE of this (none of this!!) compares to what I was able to expel from my body doing a psyllium-based cleanse. I'd highly recommend Dr. Natura (drnatura.com.) I did this cleanse for a 30-day period and felt great (lighter.) But about a half a year later I did the same cleanse for 90 days and got rid of some of the craziest garbage you could imagine. My digestion was completely different, as was my skin. So if you do it, definitely commit to the full 90 days to get the full effect. I still do one month of it every year or so, as routine.

Besides the sloughing off of the stuff gunking up your intestines, another big reason to do a cleanse is to purge parasites if, by any chance, you have them. It's not such an impossibility considering we all need water filters and such when we hike, backpack and camp. It wouldn't take much to end up with something contaminated (a water bottle, a camel back bite valve,..etc.) over the course of one's hiking career. A lot of people in the states have them and don't even know it.

By the way, the website used to be much more informative with people submitting all kinds of crazy pictures of their...uh...um...results. Now the company toned it down to something far more polite which was probably the biggest mistake they could have made. I tried some other thisilin-based cleanse from Nature's Way, I think, but it didn't even come close.

Expect to feel crappy at points while doing a cleanse. That's actually an expected thing during a cleanse because things are circulating out of your body. A headache on the top of my head was always my sure clue. Once the junk is out, you'll most likely feel great.
I'd be careful about Master Cleanse with the lemon juice-maple syrup-cayenne combo - easily to get insulin resistant by giving your body primarily sugars to burn. I have never tried it, but someone I know did and said this was an unexpected side-effect.

I've also done gallbladder cleanses (curezone.org). These can be much more difficult to do, but they did help with my allergies.

Anyone who says cleanses are a fad doesn't know what they are talking about. Dave B and Crossfitter say there is "no evidence" - I hear this a lot from people who either a. don't bother to research it ("I didn't see it therefore it must not exist") or b. don't bother to try it (really try it) themselves. The evidence is there, guys. You just need to do thorough homework before you go naysaying something you really know nothing about.
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby catullus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote: The evidence is there, guys.


Oh really? Where?

User avatar
Posts: 7347
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote:Anyone who says cleanses are a fad doesn't know what they are talking about.

As a rule of thumb, whenever somebody says this, it's a fad.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

User avatar
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm

chrismjx wrote:Maybe this belongs in the Off-Route section, but I'm basically doing this in preparation for the summer season...

Can anyone recommend a system cleanse program? (Or NOT recommend one as the case may be). There are 1000s on the internet; too many to choose from, and I figured at least a few people on this forum would be knowledgeable in this area! I'd love to hear about your personal experiences, positive or negative.


I can't contribute anything about cleanse programs, but if you are just looking for a health/energy boost try a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and then substitute a fruit smoothie for the soft drink you have with dinner. I have been doing this for about 6 months, and the boost in good vitamins has elevated my energy and feel-goods. Smoothies are yummie too.

Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby catullus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm

DaveSwink wrote:I can't contribute anything about cleanse programs, but if you are just looking for a health/energy boost try a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and then substitute a fruit smoothie for the soft drink you have with dinner. I have been doing this for about 6 months, and the boost in good vitamins has elevated my energy and feel-goods. Smoothies are yummie too.


+1. A much healthier alternative to laxatives and pseudo-science.

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote:
Dave B wrote:
crossfitter wrote:I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap. Your body is well equipped to handle "toxins" and there is absolutely no evidence that cleanses do anything beyond a placebo effect.


lol

+1

Cleanses are a fad and have little evidence to back up any claims of efficacy. If you desire a diet that will make you feel better simply cut out processed crap. Have fruits and vegetables comprise the majority of your diet, remove fattier meats and eat lotsa beans.

That'll clean you right out.

Edit to add: I tried the juice "cleanse" a la Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead with my wife for four days and never felt crappier. Supposedly you don't begin to feel the "wonderful" benefits till after seven days but I couldn't stand another glass of liquified kale at that point.




Just speaking from experience:
I am a crossfitter (3-4x a week)
I eat mostly paleo (exceptions are coffee and quinoa, some greek yoghurt)
I did the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead juice fast for several days, and I still juice just about every other day.
NONE of this (none of this!!) compares to what I was able to expel from my body doing a psyllium-based cleanse. I'd highly recommend Dr. Natura (drnatura.com.) I did this cleanse for a 30-day period and felt great (lighter.) But about a half a year later I did the same cleanse for 90 days and got rid of some of the craziest garbage you could imagine. My digestion was completely different, as was my skin. So if you do it, definitely commit to the full 90 days to get the full effect. I still do one month of it every year or so, as routine.

Besides the sloughing off of the stuff gunking up your intestines, another big reason to do a cleanse is to purge parasites if, by any chance, you have them. It's not such an impossibility considering we all need water filters and such when we hike, backpack and camp. It wouldn't take much to end up with something contaminated (a water bottle, a camel back bite valve,..etc.) over the course of one's hiking career. A lot of people in the states have them and don't even know it.

By the way, the website used to be much more informative with people submitting all kinds of crazy pictures of their...uh...um...results. Now the company toned it down to something far more polite which was probably the biggest mistake they could have made. I tried some other thisilin-based cleanse from Nature's Way, I think, but it didn't even come close.

Expect to feel crappy at points while doing a cleanse. That's actually an expected thing during a cleanse because things are circulating out of your body. A headache on the top of my head was always my sure clue. Once the junk is out, you'll most likely feel great.
I'd be careful about Master Cleanse with the lemon juice-maple syrup-cayenne combo - easily to get insulin resistant by giving your body primarily sugars to burn. I have never tried it, but someone I know did and said this was an unexpected side-effect.

I've also done gallbladder cleanses (curezone.org). These can be much more difficult to do, but they did help with my allergies.

Anyone who says cleanses are a fad doesn't know what they are talking about. Dave B and Crossfitter say there is "no evidence" - I hear this a lot from people who either a. don't bother to research it ("I didn't see it therefore it must not exist") or b. don't bother to try it (really try it) themselves. The evidence is there, guys. You just need to do thorough homework before you go naysaying something you really know nothing about.


A few questions from a skeptic. 1) is it possible that the weird stuff that you were crapping out was just the weird stuff you purchased and were eating ? I would say probably. 2) Is it possible that you felt great after the cleanse because you felt so crappy (excuse the pun) while you were doing it? I would say probably. 3) If our intestine is so covered in muck and so desperately in need of a month long cleanse process why is it that the medications given my an MD prior to a colonoscopy can do the same thing overnight? Take a look at video footage of a colonoscopy, I don't see any "mucoid plaque" anywhere.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

User avatar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote:Anyone who says cleanses are a fad doesn't know what they are talking about. Dave B and Crossfitter say there is "no evidence" - I hear this a lot from people who either a. don't bother to research it ("I didn't see it therefore it must not exist") or b. don't bother to try it (really try it) themselves. The evidence is there, guys. You just need to do thorough homework before you go naysaying something you really know nothing about.


That's not true. I was actually quite interested in the concept of cleanses several years ago. I had been smoking two packs a day and was 40 lbs over weight from a diet that consisted mostly of fast food.

The concept of a cleanse seemed welcomed and needed. I even tried a couple including the aforementioned juice cleanse.

In the process, I began to find far more evidence suggesting zero to negative effects of cleanses than positive. Since, I have given up the idea altogether and decided a normal healthy diet filled with a variety of non processed food choices was the way to go.

The problem with modern society seems to be an abandonment of moderation for the sake of the extreme and fast acting.

I'd love to see some studies that show positive benefits from cleanses, I certainly couldn't find any. Further, it would take a dissertations worth of effort to scan the available literature to actually arrive at a scientific opinion. So in the absence of that available time, I'll just stick with what the Mayo Clinic has to say on the issue.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: polar and 21 guests