Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water Filter Question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Water Filter Question

Postby gearhunter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:38 am

Own a Katadyn Hiker Pro which I have used only a handful of times (less < 5). It hasn't been used in probably 3 years.

Is there any reason I should toss it and get a new one? It's just been in the closet.

Re: Water Filter Question

Postby macgyver » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:46 am

As long as it hasn't been frozen or has any signs of mold/mildew, you should be fine. I broke out a filter that wasn't used in over 4 years, looked clean, and worked fine for a few nights on the trail. You also will want to give it a few test runs in your house to make sure it it pumping properly.
Last edited by macgyver on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MacG

Postby Magnum420 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 am

I'd say if it hadnt been abused that it should be fine. If you are worried about it, change the filter and disinfect all of the hoses and attachements. I change the filter in mine every 2-3 years regardless if it needs it or not. Just to be safe.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby powhound » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm

I had the same concerns with a filter that went unused for about 4 years. So I called the manufacturer and they said that as long as it was dried out properly after the last use it should be fine. I used it on a few trips last year and didn't get sick. So I guess they were right.

Postby ezabielski » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

powhound wrote:I used it on a few trips last year and didn't get sick. So I guess they were right.

If you were in Colorado for these trips, it would be extremely unlikely that you would get sick even without a filter.

Postby CO Native » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Actually giardia is fairly common in streams in Colorado and, as I can attest, it's possible to get Cryptosporidia. Just because the water is cold and clear and you're near the source doesn't mean it can't contain microscopic life.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com