Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

No longer 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed -REI

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: No longer 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed -REI

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 pm

All I know is I shredded a pair of gators with my crampons last month and they exchanged them with no problem. I felt guilty as hell because it was my fault. I slipped and those badboys went right through them AND my patagonia alpine guide pants. damn! i'm getting my grandma to sew the pants up

BUT - I used my dividend and the 20% coupon to buy a couple backpacks, then realized I ordered the wrong size on one of the packs and they refused to change the address on the order. wtf? seems like the easiest thing on the planet. I had to cancel the order, cancel the dividend and everything.....

i was irritated, but i was also a few drinks deep..... ](*,)

Postby Lindahl » Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 am

There's been rumors about this for years now (and likely internet message board threads about this multiple times over those years). I'll believe it when I see it. Every once in a while, you run into a disgruntled clerk behind the counter that might give you some lip about returning stuff - if they refuse, just go to another store, and you likely won't have any problems. I don't abuse the policy, but I certainly take advantage of it, because that's what made me buy there in the first place. I'm pretty picky when it comes to gear, so if I don't like something about an item I've purchased, even after a year or so of use, it's going back.

In terms of days-based return policy? Stupid, IMO. I've had items sit around in my closet for over a year before I realized I never really used the damn thing (because it was useless for my needs) and went to go return it.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:All I know is I shredded a pair of gators with my crampons last month and they exchanged them with no problem. I felt guilty as hell because it was my fault. I slipped and those badboys went right through them AND my patagonia alpine guide pants. damn! i'm getting my grandma to sew the pants up

BUT - I used my dividend and the 20% coupon to buy a couple backpacks, then realized I ordered the wrong size on one of the packs and they refused to change the address on the order. wtf? seems like the easiest thing on the planet. I had to cancel the order, cancel the dividend and everything.....

i was irritated, but i was also a few drinks deep..... ](*,)

Well you couldn't have felt that guilty. . . :lol:

As a former REI employee, I loved the return policy 'cause I got some killer deals at the (then) quarterly garage sales on stuff that was in great shape. $60 for an Arc'Teryx Gamma MX jacket??? You bet!!!

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter how strict or lax a return policy is--people are going to milk it for everything they can. So now the person who's had their hiking boots for five years, beat 'em to hell, and now wants to return 'em 'cause they're suddenly "not satisfied" is going to be SOL. I'm actually surprised it's taken 'em this long to start being more strict.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Previous