Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

No longer 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed -REI

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

No longer 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed -REI

Postby SingleSpeed » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

I was standing in line at REI today, when I overheard the cashier saying that REI is in the process of revamping their return policy. When I asked her about it, she said they are going to be moving away from the 100% Satisfaction policy due to it being abused. I was sorry to hear that, as this is one of the main reason that I shop at REI. I try not to abuse the policy but I do like knowing that if what I buy does not hold up, or live up to expectations that I can return it. I guess all good things have to end.

Re: No longer 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed -REI

Postby 3rdGenNative » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Totally understandable. When you see the stuff returned at the garage sales you wonder why they continue to take a beating like that, scratched sunglasses and goggles, buttons popped off of shirts, "it shrunk" more than likely means "I've gotten heavier", boots that obviously have lots of miles on them. I buy stuff @ REI because of the guarantee but I've never taken advantage of it. Now, maybe not.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

I hope everyone who has abused the policy is really proud of themselves. :roll: Nice going!
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby my5sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 pm

From a business standpoint if they do they will be making a huge mistake. I haven't abused it but its why I sometimes buy from the local store verses ordering it online that requires a much difficult return process. The thing that bugs me is at REI garage sales is some of the pricing on junk equipment. Costco has the same policy and its another reason I shop there. Gives me peace of mind. If they do change it I will re think shopping there as much.
Lets start a revolt :-D

Postby ajkagy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

REI is pretty overpriced to begin with and the only reason to get gear is because of the return policy. I can see their business taking a pretty big hit if they get rid of that. You can find similar or the same gear for cheaper + no tax and free shipping via a lot of online retailers. I wonder if backcountry.com will follow suit since they have a similar return policy?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby BlueKhan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm

I've probably spent at least $5k at REI over the last 5 years and also have a credit card with them. I've maybe returned or exchanged $150 of those purchases... I went into REI the other day to "return, exchange or fix" some trekking poles that I had literally used on only one trip. Keep in mind that I had not made it 50 feet before a handle failed me...the guy behind the counter was telling me that he would ONLY exchange them for "more heavy duty trekking poles". I've spent enough time doing what I do...to know what I need...and having someone trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about really got under my skin. I ended up saying that I would be happier if the shop could just fix it which was my whole idea from the beginning. Within 5 minutes, the shop tech fixed it which was actually the first option that I recommended. I commend the shop tech, . but I'd rather deal with a company that will actually stand behind a policy. I've always preferred backcountry.com anyways..

Postby Svenski Norski » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:38 am

Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) will get some crossover business, they still take almost anything back.

Postby wildernessdave » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 am

Not surprising they would review it. However, it is an interesting dilema that REI has perpetuated over the years. They have trained their salespeople to promote the 100% satisfaction guarantee as part of selling their products. They also have promoted this "Return Everything Incorportated" idea by not having appropriate replacement parts for their own product line. A little story on our part. We broke a buckle on an REI backpack and went in to get a replacement buckle. They do not carry the replacement pieces for their own packs because their product manufactures overseas are constantly changing their suppliers. Since the mating part of this small piece worth about .79 cents was sewn to the pack the response from their REI supervisor was "we will just return the pack and get you a new one". Seemed wasteful to us in this case since we were only trying to fix a small piece.

I only bring this up because the idea that REI is changing their policy because we the consumer are "abusing" the system. When in reality they have perpetuated this "abuse" for years and years.

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 am

not surprising at all...the few times i have returned items it was common to see people returning old tents and gear that didnt have anything wrong or defective, just a lot of use and wear and tear. I was always blown away how rei would accept these peoples trash, and give them their money back! most people will abuse any generosity they are shown... basic human nature.

its a shame that REI will go out of business if they actually go through with this, but people will be so outraged that they can no longer get free replacement gear they will be shopping elsewhere.

Postby I Man » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 am

Hopefully they don't go this route, but if they do it will be good for the other local gear stores and online retailers. Without the return policy there is no reason to buy from REI, and I doubt I would use them going forward.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 am

SolarAlex wrote:but people will be so outraged that they can no longer get free replacement gear they will be shopping elsewhere.

Were these people really "shopping" to begin with? If REI loses this portion of their clientelle, it would only be a loss of liability. The real question of course is will they lose their more honest customers.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby yosemite98 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 am

I agree, the only reason I go there is because of the 100% gaurantee. Without that it's just overpriced gear. And, I've only taken back one thing in the many years I've been buying, a broken hiking pole (the plastic piece at the end where the carbide? tip was snapped off). So, I've pretty much wasted alot of money for that one replaced item. Not going to happen anymore!

Next