Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ice Axe on Quandary?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Ice Axe on Quandary?

Postby dwemp6 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

My father and I are planning on climbing and skiing Quandary in a couple weeks. We plan on skinning as much as possible but both of us will have crampons in case we need them. I am wondering if it is necessary for each of us to bring an ice ax along as well.

Thanks!

Re: Ice Axe on Quandary?

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm

It's never a bad idea to carry an ice ax when you're traveling on snow.

That said, if you stick to Quandary's East Ridge route, the only special gear most people use are Microspikes.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby BKS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Assuming you climb the standard East ridge route, it does not exceed 30 degrees and ice axe or crampons are not necessary IMO. I have packed both up this route, but it is unnecessary. The only reason not to be able to skin the whole of the east ridge is if coverage is not complete and you have to take skis off for rocks. The usual rocky part is on the flat between the two bowls- here you would be walking on very level ground not cramponing. For the ski down this route poles would be just fine.

If you go to north or south couloirs aka Christo or Quandary couloirs, I would take both axe and crampons given slopes are above 30 degrees. I would want a whippet to ski either of these couloirs. An axe in hand is hard to ski with.

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:It's never a bad idea to carry an ice ax when you're traveling on snow.

That said, if you stick to Quandary's East Ridge route, the only special gear most people use are Microspikes.

+1

I typically carry mine whenever I climb (even in the middle of summer depending on route) as it has come in handy many times for use other than snow. Make shift passive pro/aid, digging, helping to guy a tent out in strong wind, getting asked questions about why you are carrying it in August.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby MonGoose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I skied the Quandary East Ridge this past Friday and there was enough coverage to skin to the summit and ski down. For the East Ridge, I would recommend taking microspikes in case you get tired of skinning but you shouldn't need crampons. Assuming you have ski poles, you shouldn't need an ice axe as the entire route is under 28 degrees. If you are taking any other route on Quandary, I would strongly recommend an ice axe and crampons.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.39592,-106.09384&z=16&b=t&o=r&n=0.25&a=sf

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:25 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:It's never a bad idea to carry an ice ax when you're traveling on snow.

+1

I typically carry mine whenever I climb (even in the middle of summer depending on route) as it has come in handy many times for use other than snow. Make shift passive pro/aid, digging, helping to guy a tent out in strong wind, getting asked questions about why you are carrying it in August.

Hell, I even took mine out to get the mail yesterday. That massive blizzard had me pretty spooked for avy conditions on my porch :wft:

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 am

forbins_mtn wrote:Hell, I even took mine out to get the mail yesterday. That massive blizzard had me pretty spooked for avy conditions on my porch :wft:

Had to self-arrest in my driveway going to scrape my windows :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?