Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Going light weight for early spring couloir climbing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Going light weight for early spring couloir climbing

Postby JB99 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:02 pm

I've been known to count ounces, but the weight of a Bic or a few matches is so negligible this seems a bit silly... Especially compared to the energy expended in the last few posts arguing over whether or not to carry them.

Postby Lindahl » Sun May 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Read my post again (my original response wasn't framed very well).I'm not arguing about carrying a firestarter, I'm arguing about relying on one in an emergency.

In my daypacks, I always carry a couple stormproof matches, an esbit tab and a lithium AA in a film canister (backup headlamp/beacon battery).

Postby JB99 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:58 pm

There's no way I'm reading your post again, my whole point is the amount of time discussing whether or not having a fire starter is worth it has already taken more energy than a lifetime of carrying a lighter or some matches. Nobody said anywhere that you should rely on a fire starter for emergencies, just that it could be a useful tool. So who/what are you arguing with? And if a fire starter is so pointless, as you've gone out of your way to argue, why do you still carry one?

Postby Lindahl » Sun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

I wasn't arguing with anyone when I brought it up. I made a statement, the statement was challenged - that started the argument. I never said that a firestarter was useless. Don't put words in my mouth. Read my response again (it's framed very different from the original), or drop it. Enough said.

Previous