Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Airlines damaging gear

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Airlines damaging gear

Postby clemsonmtneer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

So last week my brother flew out here from South Carolina to visit for some skiing/snowboarding at Copper and Steamboat. Anyways, he flew back last night... and when he opened his snowboard bag, discovered that the airlines had completely destroyed his board... cracked and totally delaminated down the middle. It was a fairly new board that was in great shape, so as you can imagine, he's freaking out a little bit.

Just curious if anyone has ever had any experience with, or know of anyone having experience with gear being damaged by the airlines. And if so what course of action can be taken. FWIW he was flying with Southwest. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Airlines damaging gear

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Bummer. Did he discover/file a claim at the airport?

I had a friend lose a Titanium road bike due to airlines mashing his case. Fortunately for him, it was pretty easy to prove (at baggage claim) that they had mishandled the hardcase (almost looked like they stuck a forklift blade through it) and killed his frame...Not sure how easy it will be to prove the same with a cloth (assumption) board bag.

Best of luck!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Scott P » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Just curious if anyone has ever had any experience with, or know of anyone having experience with gear being damaged by the airlines.

Everyone who flies more than a few times will have gear damaged at some time. Or several times.

Try and make a claim. It's best if you do it right at the airport immediately after the flight.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby yedi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

He should file a claim (if he hasn't already) as quickly as possible. Most airlines require damage claims within 24 hours, if they aren't reported at baggage claim.

I had an issue with an airline shredding an XL TNF base camp duffel that I had packed for Rainier in. They claimed that the bag was not packed properly, but it was clear the machine had just punched a bunch of holes in it. Eventually, they were willing to refund the baggage fee for each leg of the trip, which was about what I'd paid for the bag. Wouldn't cover the cost of a snowboard, though.

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Here’s the story of a musician who got the run around after United broke his guitar.

United Breaks Guitars
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby clemsonmtneer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Thank you all for the info... I passed it all on to my brother. He did file a claim this morning, but that's all I know so far... will see what happens and hope for the best. Unfortunately he got in after midnight local time last night so he didn't even open his bag and discover the damage until this morning. Sounds like the best lesson learned from this is to always check your gear for damage before leaving the airport.

Postby MUni Rider » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm

clemsonmtneer wrote:Thank you all for the info... I passed it all on to my brother. He did file a claim this morning, but that's all I know so far... will see what happens and hope for the best. Unfortunately he got in after midnight local time last night so he didn't even open his bag and discover the damage until this morning. Sounds like the best lesson learned from this is to always check your gear for damage before leaving the airport.

Make a complaint on Southwest's Twitter and Facebook sites and any travel boards you can think of. I hear that helps because they monitor those for bad press. At least that is what I hear all the time on Howard Clark. http://www.clarkhoward.com/

Good Luck.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby scalba123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

I've had pretty good luck expressing my displeasure on a company's Facebook and Twitter pages. I know they have people monitoring those sites to head off any bad reviews. Including pictures of the damages would send a big message. Good luck!

Postby clemsonmtneer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

MUni Rider wrote:
clemsonmtneer wrote:Thank you all for the info... I passed it all on to my brother. He did file a claim this morning, but that's all I know so far... will see what happens and hope for the best. Unfortunately he got in after midnight local time last night so he didn't even open his bag and discover the damage until this morning. Sounds like the best lesson learned from this is to always check your gear for damage before leaving the airport.

Make a complaint on Southwest's Twitter and Facebook sites and any travel boards you can think of. I hear that helps because they monitor those for bad press. At least that is what I hear all the time on Howard Clark. http://www.clarkhoward.com/

Good Luck.

scalba123 wrote:I've had pretty good luck expressing my displeasure on a company's Facebook and Twitter pages. I know they have people monitoring those sites to head off any bad reviews. Including pictures of the damages would send a big message. Good luck!

Awesome, hadn't thought about using social media. Thanks!

Postby ThuChad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:56 pm

I've had a couple things lost and damaged with Southwest and they've always been more than helpful. I would just call them and make a claim first. No reason to raise a big stink if you don't have to. Things like this are inevitable if you fly a decent amount.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby pvnisher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Agree with trying the traditional channels before raising hell. Otherwise, your complaint is just, "they broke it." Hopefully they'll offer some compensation, but making a bunch of angry rants before even trying to do it the right way just contributes to the spraywaste on the web.