Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter

Postby Lapua338 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

Has anyone used this filtration system before? If so, would you recommend it? Anyone know how many liters the filter can handle before it has to be switched out? Thanks!
"You can't trust quotes on the internet." Benjamin Franklin‏

Re: Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter

Postby colokeith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 am

I have the filter I really like it for use in camp when back packing.

The only complaint I have is that it can be difficult to fill if you don't have either a little waterfall in a stream, or water that is 16"+ deep. I now carry a small dirty cup to fill the blader with if I expect a light water source.
It is also a bit of trouble to unpack and filter which makes it less than ideal for refilling a bottle on the go when hiking. So I carry a sterripen for this purpose.

I don't quite understand your question of how many liters before it has to be switched out. You basically filter 4 liters then hang the "clean" bag on a tree for use. You can then refill the dirty bag for filtering when the clean water is gone.

I don't know how many liters before the filter needs to be replaced. I dropped mine on the floor of a hut, and had to replace it this winter.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Lapua338 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks for the info. When I asked how many liters could be cleaned before the filter had to be switched out, I was talking about the actual filtering element that is in the line. I was just curious if it was necessary to buy a replacement carbon element to take with me or if it can be used many times before it is necessary to change the in line filter.
"You can't trust quotes on the internet." Benjamin Franklin‏

Postby colokeith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 am

The filter comes with instructions on how to check if the filter is working properly. Mine worked fine for two seasons (more than a dozen trips). My guess is that it would eventually need replaced as flow rate slows due to the filter becoming clogged.

This type if filter does fail completely if it is dropped, or frozen. Thus I recommend carrying iodine pills or some other form of backup purification
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby carson_h » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

I have one and like it. It's most effective below treeline where you can hang it easily; however, I've also rigged hanging systems with my trekking poles above TL (hang over a big rock or use a tent+cord+poles). You need to back flush the filter with every use or the filter will clog. I believe that the filter life is 1000L. My biggest complaint is the filtering time -- it's like watching water boil, but better than pumping.

I plan on switching to chlorine dioxide this year if I can get my hand on some Klearwater (or other active solution). It's fast, light, and I don't taste it at all.

Postby CO Native » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

My brother and I have used GravityWorks for a couple years now and on several 40+ mile trips. It's been very reliable and easy to use. With a little creativity you can fill the dirty bag from most any small source of water. I love that it does the filtering on it's own. That frees me up to do other tasks.

I was a devoute Miniworks user, but GravityWorks has become my preferred filter for 3 season use. I still prefer my miniworks in winter since it's far less suceptable to damage from freezing.

carson_h wrote:I plan on switching to chlorine dioxide this year if I can get my hand on some Klearwater (or other active solution). It's fast, light, and I don't taste it at all.

Fast? :shock:

From the Potable Aqua website: "Requires a 4-hour treatment time"
From Klearwater themselves "For "tough" pathogens, such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium a longer treatment time (15-30min.) is recommended."

15 to 30 minutes for Giardia and Cryptosporidium assumes best case conditions too where the water is clear and 68 degrees. Cold water that isn't clear takes closer to the 4 hours.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby carson_h » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Also from the Klearwater site...

"KlearWater is relatively unaffected by temperature or the PH of the water being treated."

4 hours is required for all Chlorine Dioxide tables. All of the active solutions are much faster, so 15-30 minutes is really the max and that's about the same time as filtering with gravity.

The other benefit of something like Klearwater is that you can fill and treat a water bottle on the trail. Also, you could carry a 10L MSR Dromedary bag (10oz) for camp and make most of your water in one batch. This all assumes that you could actually buy this product, but it's sold out everywhere. You can buy Aquamira drops; they require mixing before use which is slightly more hassle.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I've used Potable Aqua for 10 years, I give it 15 minutes and have never had a problem , thats all Colorado however. If I want instant lately it's been the "Squeeze." by Sawyer, I think it's similiar to the Platypuss except you squeeze rather than wait on gravity. We have lots of water treatment options, they all seem to work.